Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Harrisgagnon

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 300
Reply with quote  #1 
I have no prior knowledge to mentalism but want to start learning. I have seen that practical mental magic and 13 steps to mentalism are good. Should I start with those or any other suggestions?
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 1,906
Reply with quote  #2 
I think that 13 Steps to Mentalism is far too obtuse for the average reader. I am no expert myself, but there are several folks on the forum who are and I expect they will pop in and answer your question soon.

In the meantime, if you own Harry's The Magic Book there's a section on mental magic that contains several excellent effects. 
0
DJ

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 267
Reply with quote  #3 
The current book club here on the Forum has been discussing the book Mentalissimo by John Bannon. Might be worth checking out. We also have some discussions on the Forum about the book and some of the tricks. You can also find videos online of Bannon performing some of the effects from the book and see if they are something you'd be interested in learning.

http://johnbannonmagic.com/books/mentalissimo.html

__________________
Dan
0
Harrisgagnon

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 300
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
The current book club here on the Forum has been discussing the book Mentalissimo by John Bannon. Might be worth checking out. We also have some discussions on the Forum about the book and some of the tricks. You can also find videos online of Bannon performing some of the effects from the book and see if they are something you'd be interested in learning. http://johnbannonmagic.com/books/mentalissimo.html


Awesome thanks!
0
Harrisgagnon

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 300
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
I think that 13 Steps to Mentalism is far too obtuse for the average reader. I am no expert myself, but there are several folks on the forum who are and I expect they will pop in and answer your question soon.

In the meantime, if you own Harry's The Magic Book there's a section on mental magic that contains several excellent effects. 


Ok. I will check it out again.
0
Harrisgagnon

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 300
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
I think that 13 Steps to Mentalism is far too obtuse for the average reader. I am no expert myself, but there are several folks on the forum who are and I expect they will pop in and answer your question soon.

In the meantime, if you own Harry's The Magic Book there's a section on mental magic that contains several excellent effects. 


Continuing my previous comment to your comment:

I am looking for a book solely on mentalism too. But Thanks!
0
Mind Phantom

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,239
Reply with quote  #7 
Check out Bob Cassidy's 39 Steps to Mentalismhttps://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Also check out Larry Becker's Stunner's Plus. It contains a lot of real world effects that you can do for laypeople. The book is kinda expensive $80, but, IMHO it's worth it.

It really depends on what you would like to do with your mentalism you know ? Also anything by Robert Cassidy is the goods.

Sorry. The above link didn't work for some reason.

Best,


0
Harrisgagnon

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 300
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Five
Check out Bob Cassidy's 39 Steps to Mentalismhttps://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Also check out Larry Becker's Stunner's Plus. It contains a lot of real world effects that you can do for laypeople. The book is kinda expensive $80, but, IMHO it's worth it.

It really depends on what you would like to do with your mentalism you know ? Also anything by Robert Cassidy is the goods.

Sorry. The above link didn't work for some reason, but, maybe Rudy can fix it.

Best,




Thanks a lot! I want to be able to walk up to strangers and do mentalism. I don't want something that requires prior knowledge.
0
Mind Phantom

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,239
Reply with quote  #9 
Or, you can buy a few dealer items and try them out BEFORE you invest in a book. A good effect would be Symbologic, it's a great effect with ESP cards, and it's easy to do, so you can focus on your presentation. You can buy it on ebay or a internet magic shop. The cost is about $10 - $15 for the trick. I carry it in my wallet.

Do you want to read minds, make objects move like PK, remote viewing, predictions, etc.

Best,
0
Harrisgagnon

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 300
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Five
Or, you can buy a few dealer items and try them out BEFORE you invest in a book. A good effect would be Symbologic, it's a great effect with ESP cards, and it's easy to do, so you can focus on your presentation. You can buy it on ebay or a internet magic shop. The cost is about $10 - $15 for the trick. I carry it in my wallet.

Do you want to read minds, make objects move like PK, remote viewing, predictions, etc.

Best,


Awesome, Id love to do that before investing. I want to read minds, predictions and remote viewing.
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 1,906
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisgagnon
Awesome, Id love to do that before investing. I want to read minds, predictions and remote viewing.


Well if that's all... One-ahead knocks 'em dead. At least when presented correctly. All you need is a pen or pencil, some slips of paper, and a deck of cards to perform a fairly basic-but-mind-boggling routine.
0
Mind Phantom

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,239
Reply with quote  #12 
There is a nice routine in the above Stunners Plus book called Casino Caper that uses the one-ahead with the props of a mini-roulette wheel, a pair of dice & a deck of cards. The premise is that you invite the spectator to a imaginary trip to Las Vegas.
0
Harrisgagnon

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 300
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Five
There is a nice routine in the above Stunners Plus book called Casino Caper that uses the one-ahead with the props of a mini-roulette wheel, a pair of dice & a deck of cards. The premise is that you invite the spectator to a imaginary trip to Las Vegas.


Awesome I'll take a look!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.