Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,056
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Harry,

I recently bought an old video cassette of Dai Vernon's magic. In that video, Bruce Cervon teaches a cutting the aces routine that looked familiar to me.

Of course, I realized that it the effect that served as the foundation of your wonderful, "Card Sharp & the Four Gamblers". I pulled the Classic Collection volume 2 off of my shelf and I'm in the process of learning and practicing the routine and look forward to performing it.

My question has nothing to do with this particular effect, but I did want to ask you about a statement that you made in the foreword that precedes your description of the handling.

You mention that there are two reputation making effects that you were keeping to yourself. Is that still true? Or have you given it all away?

Rudy

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,092
Reply with quote  #2 
    My routine, Card Shark & Four Gamblers is based, of course, on Dai's original cutting the aces routine (with the help of an old, late, friend - Don Costello). We discussed it a lot - and gotta' tell you that Dai thought it was wonderful. (Not that he was always right!) 

      And those items I mentioned in Reputation-Makers (some decades ago) I'm sure I must have already published somewhere (growing old sucks!! It's all starting to blend in my mind!) or they will be (among quite a few others) in my upcoming book JAW DROPPERS TWO.   Harry.
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 756
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Tinoco
Hi Harry,

I recently bought an old video cassette of Dai Vernon's magic. In that video, Bruce Cervon teaches a cutting the aces routine that looked familiar to me.

Of course, I realized that it the effect that served as the foundation of your wonderful, "Card Sharp & the Four Gamblers". I pulled the Classic Collection volume 2 off of my shelf and I'm in the process of learning and practicing the routine and look forward to performing it.

My question has nothing to do with this particular effect, but I did want to ask you about a statement that you made in the foreword that precedes your description of the handling.

You mention that there are two reputation making effects that you were keeping to yourself. Is that still true? Or have you given it all away?

Rudy

Hi Rudy, As you guessed right on Instagram, I've been focussing on it for the last couple weeks. Have the broad mechanics but its (as usual) the presentation/patter that is going to take the time. That great rhythm that Harry delivers blended perfectly with the mechanics. If its ok with Harry maybe we could touch on it at the session tomorrow. It's certainly the item I've spent most time with in the last 2 weeks. Gareth
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,092
Reply with quote  #4 
I assume you know that I teach an easier way to set ("impromptuly") for my Card Sharp & The Four Gamblers? As I say therein I'd been asked to do so by many - many who wanted an easier set up. I still use the original - always will - can't change/don't want to change something I've done thousands of times over some decades - but it might work for you.  Harry.
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 756
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lorayne
I assume you know that I teach an easier way to set ("impromptuly") for my Card Sharp & The Four Gamblers? As I say therein I'd been asked to do so by many - many who wanted an easier set up. I still use the original - always will - can't change/don't want to change something I've done thousands of times over some decades - but it might work for you.  Harry.


Thanks Mr Lorayne

Had been focussing on the Reputation Makers teaching. Trying to follow Steve Youell's advice to respect and learn from original descriptions when at all possible and move on from there. Have looked at Jaw Droppers version and it's really good. Is it Ok for me and Rudy to discuss broadly at the forum session tomorrow? I'll the set up was the part I was struggling with.
Thanks
Gareth
0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,056
Reply with quote  #6 
Harry gave me permission to share this clip from volume 4 of his "Best Ever!" DVD set. If you don't have it, buy it at http://www.harryloraynemagic.com

Anyway, watch how Harry sets up the deck to perform this incredibly entertaining effect. It demonstrates how expertly Harry handles an effect under pressure. I'm sure that the beads of sweat are all part of the act [smile]



Rudy

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 756
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Tinoco
Harry gave me permission to share this clip from volume 4 of his "Best Ever!" DVD set. If you don't have it, buy it at http://www.harryloraynemagic.com

Anyway, watch how Harry sets up the deck to perform this incredibly entertaining effect. It demonstrates how expertly Harry handles an effect under pressure. I'm sure that the beads of sweat are all part of the act [smile]



Rudy


Beautiful, just beautiful. Great film of the set-up. Rhythm, timing, co-ordination (I feel like sometimes your hands must curse your tongue whilst trying to keep up) the whole package, flawless.

Thank you Harry. All the very best in 2017.

Back to practicing that set-up
Gareth
0
JohnnyNewYork

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 226
Reply with quote  #8 
Hello guys! This video clip (which I've seen before) proves that you don't have to limit magic routines to one-minute wonders IF you know how to make your presentations interesting and entertaining; obviously Mr. Lorayne knows how to do that EXTREMELY well. I'm always amazed at his uncanny ability to set things up on the fly so quickly and effortlessly! Mr. Lorayne is an inspiration to us all -- you have to love his "inside scoop" Brooklyn-eese style! johnny
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,092
Reply with quote  #9 
    No, not "Brooklynese" - mean streets (Dead End/Ghetto) of Manhattan, NY's lower East Side.
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,092
Reply with quote  #10 
   So - "Manhattanese"? "Lower-East-Side/ese"? "NewYorkese?" "Ghettoese"? Not very much to brag about. Took a lot of years for me to get out of it - guess there's no way to "get it out of me"! Oh well, as I've written a few times - sometimes "bad becomes good."
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 756
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lorayne
   Oh well, as I've written a few times - sometimes "bad becomes good."


In regards to my cardmanship, I certainly hope so.
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,092
Reply with quote  #12 
      I hope so for you - but that's not exactly what I meant. What I meant - well, one example...I'm dyslexic; that's "bad." But that dyslexia made me a better writer/teacher 'cause I teach as if everyone is like me - no ambiguities, etc. - that's "good."
0
JohnnyNewYork

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 226
Reply with quote  #13 
Mr. Lorayne, I was wondering if "furniture men" was/is a real anecdotal term or just made up "off the cuff".  I've never heard that term, but as used in the video clip it really sounds fascinating and authentic.  Best wishes to you in 2017 -- johnny
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,092
Reply with quote  #14 
    You know, that particular performance was so long ago - I'm not sure. But I think I made up the term "furniture men."
0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,056
Reply with quote  #15 
Just wanted to encourage some of you fellas to check out Harry's simplified handling of the initial setup that's found in his book, JawDroppers.
It's on page 172.

Excellent!

Rudy

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Cardshark Quixote

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 361
Reply with quote  #16 
Loved that performance.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.