Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Bomber

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 61
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello & welcome to The Magician's Forum!

If you are looking for the friendliest community around to discuss magic then you've come to the right place. The atmosphere here is very relaxed so you won't feel like you are walking on egg shells as you might at some of the other places...

Young or old, seasoned pro or beginning hobbyist - it makes no difference - we are all here because of our enjoyment of magic & this is a great place to discuss & share it. Nobody here is going to bite you so please don't be afraid to post - even if you are the very newest of beginners - we were all in that stage at one point in time.

So long story short... Come on in! The magic's fine! See you around the forums  [smile]

0
X

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 175
Reply with quote  #2 
If i can just piggyback and also Welcome everyone and Second what Bomber said!

[smile]

__________________
Professional: PK-Mentalist/Magician/Geek/Shock Entertainer

Member/Performer: Magic Castle

Creator, Consultant, Lecturer, Imagineer



0
Jabs Mckee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 144
Reply with quote  #3 
I am so grateful for this forum.  You have access to many great magic minds, great friends and you don't have to be afraid to post. Disagreement is tolerated but disrespect is not.
0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,131
Reply with quote  #4 
You've really communicated the heart of what I want this community to be for those who come here.

Thanks!

Rudy

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,131
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lorayne
    Gustav:  Move around the forum - there are plenty posts by me. That doesn't mean that they're particularly interesting, but that's left to you. And when you reach 100 posts (I think; you'll have to check that out with Mr. Tinoco) you can go into the Sessions Room and there's stuff of mine there, among others.

     And I know that your excitement makes your fingers frantically fly over the computer keys, unless there is a Harry Lprraine somewhere. But if you mean Harry Lorayne - welcome!


If Gustav is anything like me, he's going to smile when he sees that you personally responded to his post!

It still makes me happy when I see an email from you come through my inbox.

How blessed we are to have you here, Harry!!

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,124
Reply with quote  #6 
   That's awfully nice of you to say, Rudy. Thank you. You realize, of course, that there's no way the Tragic Cafe would agree with you. (From what I'm told, a few are upset there because I'm not there.) I'm also told that someone posted the Steve Cohen article about me. I'm surprised they allowed it.
0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,131
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lorayne
   That's awfully nice of you to say, Rudy. Thank you. You realize, of course, that there's no way the Tragic Cafe would agree with you. (From what I'm told, a few are upset there because I'm not there.) I'm also told that someone posted the Steve Cohen article about me. I'm surprised they allowed it.


I truly believe that it's only very small (but very loud) minority of the Cafe members who don't appreciate you. I'd be willing to bet that many of your fans would welcome you back with open arms.

Your ban should be lifted in the next couple of weeks. I won't be offended (nor do I have the right to be) if you choose to go back there. No matter what...you'll always have a home here!!

Rudy

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,124
Reply with quote  #8 
    Rudy: My ban at the Tragic Cafe was over mid-March - still haven't gone back.
0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,131
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lorayne
    Rudy: My ban at the Tragic Cafe was over mid-March - still haven't gone back.


Their loss.

It looks like my ban is over too, although I haven't signed in to check (nor will I...ever).
There is a thread going where folks are talking about Steve Cohen's great article about you.

Same old, same old. Fans who miss you and others communicating that your ban doesn't surprise them.
I'm sorry that I even looked.

Rudy

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Harry Lorayne

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,124
Reply with quote  #10 
    Yes, I was told about that thread - Steve Cohen's article. Some of the posts were read to me. It's kinda' typical of some of the "lovelies" at that place. Example: Most of it is very nice and flattering. Most saying how terrible it is that I was banned, how missed I am, and etc. That goes on for a page or more. Then, the "lovelies" referred to appear - lovelies with whom I've had to put up with before. And usually they have no idea as to what they're talking about - many tell me that their jealousy is obvious. I really don't want to go into any detail - one example of stupidity:

   Someone using the name "scrubber" or "shrubber" - something like that. Goes into a thing about --- he had posted that he hated spelling tricks (with cards). And that I then responded by saying something like "Oh, then I guess I'll have to stop doing the spelling tricks with which I made jaws drop all over the world for decades."

     He states how terrible that was of me, that he couldn't make a simple statement like that without me jumping on him. Well, I guess when sitting under moist rocks, pulling wings off flies, you don't see or understand humor. My mistake probably - I should be aware of that. But that response of mine is obviously (well, I guess not so obvious to some) tongue in cheek.

    And yes, can't help it, my "teaching instincts" sometimes simply take over. Was simply trying to "teach" that what he meant was that he hated all the card spelling tricks that he'd seen or heard of. Obviously, he didn't/doesn't understand that. (It's similar to someone stating that "this way of doing so and so is the best way - period.")

     Anyway, he and one or two others, at the end of that very flattering thread - the way it was told to me - come in with their oh-so-obvious negativism. And he and the one or two others are not new to me - the same people have done just this kind of thing over and over.

     This kind of obviousness is one of the reasons that I probably will not go back.
   

  

   
0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,131
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lorayne
    Yes, I was told about that thread - Steve Cohen's article. Some of the posts were read to me. It's kinda' typical of some of the "lovelies" at that place. Example: Most of it is very nice and flattering. Most saying how terrible it is that I was banned, how missed I am, and etc. That goes on for a page or more. Then, the "lovelies" referred to appear - lovelies with whom I've had to put up with before. And usually they have no idea as to what they're talking about - many tell me that their jealousy is obvious. I really don't want to go into any detail - one example of stupidity:

   Someone using the name "scrubber" or "shrubber" - something like that. Goes into a thing about --- he had posted that he hated spelling tricks (with cards). And that I then responded by saying something like "Oh, then I guess I'll have to stop doing the spelling tricks with which I made jaws drop all over the world for decades."

     He states how terrible that was of me, that he couldn't make a simple statement like that without me jumping on him. Well, I guess when sitting under moist rocks, pulling wings off flies, you don't see or understand humor. My mistake probably - I should be aware of that. But that response of mine is obviously (well, I guess not so obvious to some) tongue in cheek.

    And yes, can't help it, my "teaching instincts" sometimes simply take over. Was simply trying to "teach" that what he meant was that he hated all the card spelling tricks that he'd seen or heard of. Obviously, he didn't/doesn't understand that. (It's similar to someone stating that "this way of doing so and so is the best way - period.")

     Anyway, he and one or two others, at the end of that very flattering thread - the way it was told to me - come in with their oh-so-obvious negativism. And he and the one or two others are not new to me - the same people have done just this kind of thing over and over.

     This kind of obviousness is one of the reasons that I probably will not go back.
  

   


Harry, I almost spit coffee on my keyboard when you said, "Well, I guess when sitting under moist rocks, pulling wings off flies, you don't see or understand humor."!!

HAHAHAHA!! I laughed out loud at the word picture that you painted with that statement.

The Cafe's loss is our gain. Lucky us!!



__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
John Johnson

Member
Registered:
Posts: 21
Reply with quote  #12 
Just found out about Harry being banned on the Waaah-fe and posted my opinion on same. Luckily, saw a link to here and I'm up and posting. Thanks for putting this together!
0
Magicmike1949

Member
Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #13 
I don't frequent the cafe much except to see what might be for sale. Just learned of Mr Lorayne's banishment. Fortunately that led me here. Look forward to exploring this forum.
0
mark lewis

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,169
Reply with quote  #14 

I think I know what the trouble is with Harry and the Magic Cafe. It is this daft modern age where communications are misinterpreted. On the internet you don't see the facial expressions, the twinkle in the eye, the smile when a statement is made. You don't hear the tone of the person making the comment. If you did the problems wouldn't arise. If someone reads Harry's statement in cold print on the magic cafe about spelling tricks it could come off as arrogant whereas if you heard him say it in person it would sound slightly mocking, friendly and humorous. And nobody would take offence.  Somebody should point that out on the magic cafe.


Now to alleviate this problem you are supposed to use those awful emoticon things. I refuse to do so because they give me the creeps and look like germs. Harry probably doesn't use them because he may not even know they exist!

I bet half the arguments on the Magic Cafe would be avoided if people there bore this in mind.

0
Rudy Tinoco

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,131
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark lewis

I think I know what the trouble is with Harry and the Magic Cafe. It is this daft modern age where communications are misinterpreted. On the internet you don't see the facial expressions, the twinkle in the eye, the smile when a statement is made. You don't hear the tone of the person making the comment. If you did the problems wouldn't arise. If someone reads Harry's statement in cold print on the magic cafe about spelling tricks it could come off as arrogant whereas if you heard him say it in person it would sound slightly mocking, friendly and humorous. And nobody would take offence.  Somebody should point that out on the magic cafe.


Now to alleviate this problem you are supposed to use those awful emoticon things. I refuse to do so because they give me the creeps and look like germs. Harry probably doesn't use them because he may not even know they exist!

I bet half the arguments on the Magic Cafe would be avoided if people there bore this in mind.



I completely agree, Mark.

I hope that we'll keep that in mind here at the Magician's Forum, too. 

Rudy

__________________
http://www.facebook.com/magicrudy
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Blathermist

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,023
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark lewis
Now to alleviate this problem you are supposed to use those awful emoticon things. I refuse to do so because they give me the creeps and look like germs. Harry probably doesn't use them because he may not even know they exist!

I bet half the arguments on the Magic Cafe would be avoided if people there bore this in mind.



I think emoticons are fine, but even these are open to misinterpretation.
So although you make good and valid points I think your final sentence is a bit unlikely. Pity, but that's how it strikes me.


Mister Lewis's full post is included in Rudy's post. Jus to save everybody reading it all again. Though I know Mister Lewis won't mind.
0
Paul Long

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 170
Reply with quote  #17 
because of this thread I got to read Steve Cohen's piece on Harry Lorayne. Thanks
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.