Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 755
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys, 

Been meaning to write something along these lines for some time as I've been considering it for some time. the recent thread on mentoring by Jason Ladanye and the recent info thread from Conjuring Arts have spurred me to post.

Has anyone any experience with any online in person/interactive tutoring/mentoring? I'm sure I share the fact with many others that I don't live within easy reach of a bricks and mortar shop, Ring, Club or other such community. 

I have huge respect for the effort and dedication that the likes of Jason undertook to visit their mentors but those options are not open to me.

So online tutoring is the next best (I think) option. He are the options as far as I can gather in this space;

A: 1 on 1 Skype or similar sessions. I know Jason offers these, similarly Jason England, Darwin Ortiz himself, Dani Da Ortiz has a programme that Chi Han has just started over 6 or 12 months of 1 on 1 tutorage. 

B: Online workshops/programmes such as those offered by Conjuring Arts or Armando Lucero. More than just a downloadable lecture or act rather a series of real time interactive sessions that may be shared with others, but you are still receiving instruction from the very best in the business. 

C: A specifically designed curriculum and teaching course for want of a better term, here I'm thinking along the lines of the Vincent Academy or Aaron Fishers Miracle Man Method or Pathways to Mastery course.

I'm sure there are many I haven't mentioned or don't know about. I'd love it if anyone knows of any other services available, feel free to add them.

Each of which require a not inconsiderable investment of both money and time and so to decide is so difficult. I've looked at as many sources or reviews of some or all of the above. Does anyone here know of or had any specific experience with that level of online tutorship beyond the downloadable lecture.

I recently began ordering Ron Bauer's Private Study Series. Whilst clearly not in-person nor online tutorage there is access to RB and his students to refer any questions to. 

Thanks guys, any thoughts or experiences?

Gareth 


0
Chi Han

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 1,026
Reply with quote  #2 
I'd happy to talk with you about this over skype some time.  I've been very lucky to have done several online courses.  The first one being with Roberto Giobbi that is no longer offered, but focused on the fundamentals of card magic.  The second is, as you mentioned with Dani.  Dani is a fantastic teacher, and will help you with pretty much whatever you want.  At first I just barraged him with endless questions, for our next session I'm going to film a few performances for him to rip to pieces.  I have a lot of his material already, so rather than teaching methods he's taking me a little deeper down the rabbit hole.

I think you have to be careful with expectations.  There is no 'magic bullet' secret or technique that will automatically make you a better magician.  This all requires work and application (as I'm sure you know), but what you get out of it might be very different to what you expect.  My fundamentals are still terrible, but my understanding of technique and performance have deeply evolved just by being exposed to all these ideas (whether for better or worse is up for debate).
0
DJ

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 266
Reply with quote  #3 
I signed up for Aaron Fisher's Pathways Training System when I first started in card magic. My first intro to him was through his YouTube videos.  They were very interesting and full of useful insight and information, so I jumped at the chance to be able to have an opportunity to learn from him through his course and have an interaction with him "live".  Aside from the course material, which covered a ton of technique and presentation, Aaron also provided The Paper Engine Continues and Bonus Calls for members.  Most of it dealt with discussion around tricks/ideas from his book and any updates or revisions he has come up with since.  He also covered questions on the course material (Double Lift, Gravity Half Pass,etc).  So far there has been about 4 "Calls" which are basically Skype sessions with him and his team (only them live on video) which have lasted around 3 hours each.  Aaron would allow for you to submit any questions before and after the calls which he would cover, plus you could ask questions live during the calls, similar to our lectures here at the Forum.  Aaron is also accessible via emails for any general questions.  It's been a great experience so far and I'm glad I decided to go through with the purchase.  




__________________
Dan
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 755
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Han
I'd happy to talk with you about this over skype some time.  I've been very lucky to have done several online courses.  The first one being with Roberto Giobbi that is no longer offered, but focused on the fundamentals of card magic.  The second is, as you mentioned with Dani.  Dani is a fantastic teacher, and will help you with pretty much whatever you want.  At first I just barraged him with endless questions, for our next session I'm going to film a few performances for him to rip to pieces.  I have a lot of his material already, so rather than teaching methods he's taking me a little deeper down the rabbit hole.

I think you have to be careful with expectations.  There is no 'magic bullet' secret or technique that will automatically make you a better magician.  This all requires work and application (as I'm sure you know), but what you get out of it might be very different to what you expect.  My fundamentals are still terrible, but my understanding of technique and performance have deeply evolved just by being exposed to all these ideas (whether for better or worse is up for debate).


Will definitely catch up with you soon on Skype my man.

I agree and recognise your point regarding expectations but for upwards of $AUD800-$AUD1000+ my expectations are not going to be set low. I do though appreciate no matter how much is spent, no results would come without the requisite time effort and dedication. 


0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 755
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I signed up for Aaron Fisher's Pathways Training System when I first started in card magic. My first intro to him was through his YouTube videos.  They were very interesting and full of useful insight and information, so I jumped at the chance to be able to have an opportunity to learn from him through his course and have an interaction with him "live".  Aside from the course material, which covered a ton of technique and presentation, Aaron also provided The Paper Engine Continues and Bonus Calls for members.  Most of it dealt with discussion around tricks/ideas from his book and any updates or revisions he has come up with since.  He also covered questions on the course material (Double Lift, Gravity Half Pass,etc).  So far there has been about 4 "Calls" which are basically Skype sessions with him and his team (only them live on video) which have lasted around 3 hours each.  Aaron would allow for you to submit any questions before and after the calls which he would cover, plus you could ask questions live during the calls, similar to our lectures here at the Forum.  Aaron is also accessible via emails for any general questions.  It's been a great experience so far and I'm glad I decided to go through with the purchase.  



DJ, man I was so close to signing up to 3M this week but something just held me back. I watched couple of videos with Aaron himself going into great detail about the course and a video with one of the recent participants on the course. I don't know what it was but something just stopped me clicking?

Maybe I need Derren Brown's chip and app [rolleyes] (see his recent special on Netflix, Sacrifice, for that reference) to get me to make a doubtless decision.[nono]
0
DJ

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 266
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth


DJ, man I was so close to signing up to 3M this week but something just held me back. I watched couple of videos with Aaron himself going into great detail about the course and a video with one of the recent participants on the course. I don't know what it was but something just stopped me clicking?

Maybe I need Derren Brown's chip and app [rolleyes] (see his recent special on Netflix, Sacrifice, for that reference) to get me to make a doubtless decision.[nono]


I hear you Gareth.  I had the same dilemma when signing up for Pathways.  I think you might still have time to sign up for 3M and it looks like you would get more hands on interaction with Aaron and material than with Pathways.  Plus you get a 60 days to try it out.  Maybe that would help to take a chance.  If not, I'm sure you'll have another chance next year if you're ready.

Interesting side note, Aaron and Lee Asher were roommates in college where Allan Ackerman was as a professor.  Plus, Dan Harlan brought Aaron to the Magic Castle where he introduced Aaron to Larry Jennings who ended up becoming one of his mentors.  Really cool to hear stories from Aaron about his experiences with them.    

__________________
Dan
0
Tom G

Inner Circle - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 847
Reply with quote  #7 
Besides the names mentioned above, check Conjuring Arts as they hold live courses over the period of a few weeks, and a couple of them will give you one personal one on one. 
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 755
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ


I hear you Gareth.  I had the same dilemma when signing up for Pathways.  I think you might still have time to sign up for 3M and it looks like you would get more hands on interaction with Aaron and material than with Pathways.  Plus you get a 60 days to try it out.  Maybe that would help to take a chance.  If not, I'm sure you'll have another chance next year if you're ready.

Interesting side note, Aaron and Lee Asher were roommates in college where Allan Ackerman was as a professor.  Plus, Dan Harlan brought Aaron to the Magic Castle where he introduced Aaron to Larry Jennings who ended up becoming one of his mentors.  Really cool to hear stories from Aaron about his experiences with them.    


Maybe next year.

I enjoyed hearing some if his LJ recollections on Search and Destroy some years back. Maybe next year.

Thanks anyway DJ

Regards
Gareth.

PS I use Lee Ashers ‘Losing Control’ often. Never. Caught. Ever. Pure brilliance.
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 755
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G
Besides the names mentioned above, check Conjuring Arts as they hold live courses over the period of a few weeks, and a couple of them will give you one personal one on one. 


Thanks Tom. Yes Conjuring Arts were on my list. They put a thread on here last week. It triggered this thread.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.