Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #1 

So I've been pondering this idea for a while now, and just thought I'd share it on here to see what others think, maybe get some pointers. 

I like escape magic; partly because I also see it as training (for the real escapes, not fake ones that don't actually involve any danger.) Dad was always pretty hard on my sister and I about being able to take care of ourselves; part of our training was escape from restraints in the event child-snatchers nabbed us while out and about; my record for picking the lock on police issue handcuffs is about eight seconds; that's only if I'm taking the short cut of just undoing one cuff and cuffing it to my other cuffed hand instead; frees my arms up, but doesn't waste any precious time with the second lock (or second locks, if they're the double locking kind; then you have to turn left before turning right to release the actual cuff). There's also a special forces technique for binding the chain up on handcuff in such a way that the pressure created makes the chain extremely brittle and more easy to snap, but I haven't been able to quite figure that one out yet; still need to use a pick or a shim; my preference is a safety pin.

 

Anyway...in a great many magician escape tricks, there's some kind of impending doom. Buzz saws, guillotines, drowning, bursting into flames, etc, etc, from the Water Tank to Buried Alive, to being suspended high above the city streets. With so many AWESOME and death-defying stunts that have already been done, I got to thinking what I could possibly do that would be new; that would make other escapes look like child's play, and then a thought struck me, so crazy-stupid-insane that I knew right away NO ONE has ever done it: THE SPACE ESCAPE. ...Escaping from the cold, unforgiving vacuum of Outer Space...WITHOUT a space suit, (I'd wanna do it in a tuxedo; I'm just old fashioned like that, and I think it would look surreal as hell on camera. XD)

 

That's nuts, right? No one can possibly escape from the vacuum of space; we all watched Mission to Mars; the dude froze solid in like two seconds! Fortunately, Hollywood seems to have no idea what actually happens to a human body that's unprotected in space. You won't feeze solid instantaneously. You won't blow up as soon as your launched out the airlock. In fact, you'll be alive and fully aware of what's happening to you for at least fifteen seconds before you lose consciousness as the result of space sucking out all the oxygen from your body. That means you really, really don't want to be holding your breath; you want as little air in your lungs as possible, otherwise your lungs will rupture. Regardless, you're going to balloon up to twice your normal size, but you won't explode because your skin is elastic enough to keep holding you together. How slow or quickly you freeze to death is dependent upon how close to a star you are. Fortunately, earth is in the goldie locks zone of our sun, so it will take a significant amount of time for you to actually freeze to death if you were launched out of, let's say the international space station for example. Also, the moisture on the surface of your body will instantly begin to vaporize, causing your eyes and tongue to boil a little; it's probably just as unpleasant as it sounds. 

 

So...there the magician would be, bloated up two times his size, eyes and tongue boiling, starved of oxygen, rapidly approaching unconsciousness.....handcuffed, blindfolded and shackled, tumbling through outer space between one end of the space station to another part of the space station. He has fifteen seconds to free himself and open the hatch where paramedics would be standing by. If he survives, I'd have to say that would be the greatest escape act in the history of escape magic; it'd take a long time of preparing ones body as best they could for the experience, and master their own speed record for getting themselves out of the cuffs.

 

....The tricky part would be finding someone in space crazy enough to let me do it lmao. XD I'd probably have to bribe someone a lot of money, or go through a private space program. 

 

Sigh.....Just a dream at this point I suppose. =-)

 


PS: Note, that after losing consciousness at 15 seconds in, one wouldn't actually die until about 90 seconds after exposure; that's a full minute and forty-five seconds that you're Not-Dead-Yet! Pretty incredible when you think about it. If something goes wrong, and you have the right professionals standing by, they'd probably still be able to save you. And if not, your body should be frozen solid in anywhere from 12 to 26 hours, perfectly preserving your body. Who knows? Maybe an advanced alien race will find you after a few million years or so. XD

 

PPS: Hollywood is dumb.

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #2 

Scratch that, I wouldn't want a blindfold. I'd probably only ever being doing this one time only, and I wouldn't want to miss that view for the world haha, no pun intended. It'd be quite a sight, even with my eyeballs boiling.

That'd be cool to accidentally lose a classic top hat and magic wand on the way across too; those two iconic/symbolic items would be in perpetual orbit around the Earth virtually forever; an astronomical memorial for after I'm dead....or a grave marker if I don't make it lol. It'd be cool either way. XD

Ah yes...that's a cool image too; a magicians top hat and wand floating aimlessly through the starry cosmos long after Earths ultimate destruction. That'd be a cool painting. 

 

PS: It's amazing how many people seem to think that you'd just pop like a zit upon being launched into space. Hollywood almost always gets it wrong. I think the closest depiction to what would actually happen to a human body in space was done with Starlord in the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. He had plenty of time to save Gomorrah and wait for a ship to beam him up, and with only a minor frosting lol. That was my original inspiration funnily enough; the thing that started making me wonder and think, "That'd be a cool magic trick!" XD

0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,024
Reply with quote  #3 
John,

Not sure what this has to do with magic. Sure escapology is a branch of the art, but come on, Dude, what you're describing is really nothing more than intellectual onanism. What you describe is escaping in space, not from space. Underwater escapes here on the mother planet accomplish the same end without the impossibly complicated logistics and prohibitive costs of traveling to even the lower limits of the stratosphere to affect an escape. 

I am considering deleting this topic unless you you can convince me why it matters to this forum.

Thanks,

Av
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #4 

Gee, thanks. Go ahead and delete it if you hate it that much lol.

It only took months of figuring out how one would have to condition themselves for it. But you're right; it's stupid. Just an "intellectual onanism". 

 

PS: Add a padlock on the airlock; boom, escape from space.

PPS: Sure it could be done underwater. It just wouldn't be as cool or dangerous or visually cinematic, or original/unique in any way whatsoever.

PPPS: I always sorta felt that magic was about one-upping what's already been done before; it's competitive. The Space Escape is a way to one-up all other escapes. I have no idea how one would one-up THAT, but I can only hope that someday someone would try to lol. For me personally, maybe nobody else, magic is about pushing boundaries between reality and fantasy; raising the bar for what a person can actually be capable of; continuously becoming better than your yesterday's self. 

PPPPS: There's been magic tricks that cost thousands and thousands of dollars before. You might be surprised how far some magicians would be willing to go for a great effect. 

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #5 

Gasp! ...A straight jacket escape...in Space! Can't believe I hadn't thought about that before; way more iconic and classic than handcuffs or shackles! ...Maybe one could do all-of-the-above lol.

 

PS: I don't believe anything is impossible. 

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #6 
....I'd wanna watch it on TV. ....Just sayin'. [frown]
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,024
Reply with quote  #7 
I don't hate it, John. I just don't see where it fits. Still don't after your responses. I'll leave it open for the time being and keep monitoring. 

Av
0
Michaelblue

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,140
Reply with quote  #8 
As clever as you may think this idea is, I can't see anyone spending the money for such a thing. Magic isn't about one upping anyone. I think you could be successful as a sci fi writer, though.
0
jim ferguson

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 90
Reply with quote  #9 
Its so "out there", so fantastic, that no one is going to believe it. Seeing that on tv, I think most of the public are going to see it as a bit too far fetched to be believable - it'll be put down to faking and special effects.

The risk factor for what you propose is ridiculous, and there is absolutely no way NASA would permit such a thing.

Would you really want to put yourself at such risk just for someone elses entertainment ?

Personally I'd never do any trick, or stunt that could potentially injure or kill me - it's just not worth it (my opinion of course). I think the best effects of this type should appear dangerous and risky to the audience, but actually be completely safe - in other words, all an illusion.

We are magicians after all.


Jim


0
Mind Phantom

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,239
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ferguson


Would you really want to put yourself at such risk just for someone elses entertainment ?






People do it to get on MTV all the time. And I agree with Jim, NASA isn't going to let you do that, no way.

Rick
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ferguson
Its so "out there", so fantastic, that no one is going to believe it. Seeing that on tv, I think most of the public are going to see it as a bit too far fetched to be believable - it'll be put down to faking and special effects.

 

Maybe at first, but there'd be enough evidence for fact-checkers to verify that it actually happened. Then the second wave of jaws would drop lol. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ferguson
The risk factor for what you propose is ridiculous, and there is absolutely no way NASA would permit such a thing.

Would you really want to put yourself at such risk just for someone elses entertainment?


On the first note, you're so right, lol; the risk factor is insanely high, although the risks could be mitigated through intense mind-body training, particularly free-diving and high-altitude mountain climbing to help teach my body how to do more with less oxygen in my body. A lot of it's in the head; when you can't breathe and feel desperate for a lungful of air, the mind starts to go into a sort of frenzy, which is ultimately what defeats you, despite having been able to hold out much longer if one had pushed through those mental barriers. Like pain, it's just a message, and the message can be ignored. Mind over matter; if you don't mind, it don't matter lol. And no, haha, NASA definitely wouldn't let me do it; I'd have to go through a private space program, and if that weren't an option, I'd have to find a way to get myself into space on my own steam. Probably by obsessively researching investments to play the stock market, on top of getting really good at counting cards. Maybe after a decade or so I'd finally have enough money to build my OWN space program so that I could finally do it lol, (I'm kinda crazy like that; when I want to do something, I'm like a dog with a bone; few things on earth short of a bullet through my skull is going to make me let it go lol.)

 

Now, for the second part of the message; the big question: Would I really want to put myself at such risk for someone elses entertainment? Lord no! ....I'd wanna do it, JUST so that I could say that I did it, lmao. It's a deep, personal thing for me; it's a first in history: The first man to travel through outer space without a space suit, and live to tell about it. The sense of accomplishment and fulfillment would be tremendous. And I'm pretty confident I wouldn't die; I'd have around 1 minute 45 seconds before I'd have to start worrying about that, and if something goes wrong, my assistants would know within just the first twenty seconds, still leaving over a minute left to revive me. .....Like most escape acts I suppose, it sounds a lot more dangerous than it really is, (remember, most people have been subconsciously programmed to believe that a person would be dead within a matter of seconds upon being launched into space.)

 

Radiation poisoning is another factor I'd have to consider. Performing the stunt at a time when either the moon or the Earth is blocking the sun would help with the radiation factor, but it might also increase the freezing-to-death factor, but I'm thinking it'd still take quite a while to freeze to death. I grew up in the arctic where temperatures occasionally reached 80 degrees below zero....That's ALMOST as cold as space near earth, (148 degrees below zero). Unless it's performed in the sunshine, in which temperatures will reach approximately 120 degrees celsius, (or 248 degrees Fahrenheit)....so....yeah, let's NOT perform it on the sunny side of things; I'd be able to survive extreme cold temperatures briefly, but it doesn't matter how brief a trip into 248 degrees Fahrenheit is, I'm pretty sure I'd start blistering immediately into an unrecognizable purple mush of meat and bone; might even start smelling like KFC lol. Getting too cold is much preferable to being too hot; you can't fix "too-hot" in this particular scenario lmao. 

 

But yeah; it would mostly just be for my personal satisfaction in having made history. The notion that people would be entertained by it is more of a happy side effect which is an additional pleasure. =)

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #12 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
I don't hate it, John. I just don't see where it fits. Still don't after your responses. I'll leave it open for the time being and keep monitoring. 

Av

 

Sorry for assuming lol. 

It fits in the Escape Magic department with the rest of the absurdly dangerous, thrilling escape acts. Kinda confused how you can't see where it fits? It's an escape act. Plenty of magicians performs escapes. It's almost a staple stereotype made famous by Houdini that magicians tend to try escaping from death defying scenarios for other peoples entertainment. You know what would be weird? A Magician that never performs an escape act of any kind lol. 

I like variety; not limited to just card magic or just mentalism, or just coins, just rope, or just escape acts. 

0
Michaelblue

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,140
Reply with quote  #13 
Why dont you use your imagination for things that could actually happen? Do you do any cards or coins? 

As for your space odyssey---you wont see the kind of money that will require any time soon.
0
Chi Han

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,038
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelblue
Why dont you use your imagination for things that could actually happen? Do you do any cards or coins? 

As for your space odyssey---you wont see the kind of money that will require any time soon.


I find that limiting oneself to preconceived ideas of possible or impossible tends to do just that, limit us. Where we curb off our train of thought and make excuses for why things can't happen, we often don't walk down roads that might have led to interesting places.

For example, instead of just saying why something is impossible, it's far more interesting to imagine what the solutions are to those problems no?

There's a saying about those who say things are impossible should not get in the way of those who are doing it.

Not saying this would ever happen, but if it's harmless and leads to interesting thoughts why not conjecture about it? It might spark an idea for a presentation, or maybe a similar scenario. Who knows? I mean if you told me David Blaine was going to hold his breath under water for 20 minutes I could have listed a million reasons for why it was impossible and would not be allowed. And if people find the thread such an affront could just ignore it?
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelblue
Why dont you use your imagination for things that could actually happen?

Because using my imagination for things that COULDN'T normally happen is FUNNER lol. Call me crazy. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelblue
Do you do any cards or coins?

Yep; cards mostly. Handful of tricks, handful of flourishes. Nothing fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelblue
As for your space odyssey---you wont see the kind of money that will require any time soon.

My body won't be conditioned to endure the vacuum of space for quite a while either haha. It would all just take work and determination. You can do anything imaginable with the right amounts of work and determination. Patience is a virtue. =)

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #16 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Han


I find that limiting oneself to preconceived ideas of possible or impossible tends to do just that, limit us. Where we curb off our train of thought and make excuses for why things can't happen, we often don't walk down roads that might have led to interesting places.

For example, instead of just saying why something is impossible, it's far more interesting to imagine what the solutions are to those problems no?

There's a saying about those who say things are impossible should not get in the way of those who are doing it.

Not saying this would ever happen, but if it's harmless and leads to interesting thoughts why not conjecture about it? It might spark an idea for a presentation, or maybe a similar scenario. Who knows? I mean if you told me David Blaine was going to hold his breath under water for 20 minutes I could have listed a million reasons for why it was impossible and would not be allowed. And if people find the thread such an affront could just ignore it?

 

That's the spirit! *gives Chi Han a great big hug* XD

0
Blathermist

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,024
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hamilton

PPS: Hollywood is dumb.


Now there’s a novelty.

In Hollywood….."Nobody knows anything......"

William Goldman

And, apparently… "In space no one can hear you scream."

And it’s likely that mobile phones won’t work, too.

Hollywood has been getting it wrong since it opened up for business. But that’s what does. It’s fiction, even when it pretends to be real. I love Westerns, Film-Noir, but I think they’re probably not real.

Onanistic? I don’t think so. Self indulgent? Probably, but nothing intrinsically wrong with that. We’re all guilty.

And please, Anthony, please don’t delete this thread. At least not yet. 

 

This was rattled off when the thread was young and only Mister Hamilton and Mister Vinson were involved. I'm glad to see it's still here. And I thought I’d post it anyway.

0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,024
Reply with quote  #18 
No intention of deleting at this point, Mister B. My initial concern was that the post would be subject to less-than positive responses and swiftly unravel into something unfit for TMF. Glad I was wrong. Color me overly cautious, but color me also concerned.

Av
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #19 

Lmao....I didn't know what "onanistic" even meant, so I looked it up....Now I'm REALLY confused lmao. XD

...I don't understand the use of that word anywhere on this page lol. I don't even want to say what it means on here because it's so disgusting lol. XD

...Are you sure it means what you think it means, Anthony? XD Or is there like, a double meaning that I'm not aware of?XD

...This escape act has nothing to do with sexual activity lol. XD

Rotflmao

0
Blathermist

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,024
Reply with quote  #20 
I'm the first to own up to being daft, but I have no idea what either Lmao.... or  XD mean.
0
Blathermist

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,024
Reply with quote  #21 

Couple or several random Blatherated comments and observations in no particular order.

Regarding Fact-Checkers.

"Maybe at first, but there'd be enough evidence for fact-checkers to verify that it actually happened. Then the second wave of jaws would drop."

Sadly, evidence is not proof. I love History, but the reality is that historians aplenty spend their lives fact checking and still come up with stuff (evidence) they can’t prove. Depth Illusion or Tilt? Lots of evidence no proof.

No matter how miraculous something may be or seem to be, ultimately the usual damning conclusion will be drawn:

"It’s a trick".

Capricorn One anyone? 

 

Regarding the oxygen thing and how long you can manage without oxygen. A lot of it may "in the head," but if it’s not in the lungs, what then?

As for pain, that’s one thing I’ve spent all my life (so far) trying to avoid. A reasonable policy, I believe. 

 

Chi Han:

"I like variety; not limited to just card magic or just mentalism, or just coins, just rope, or just escape acts."

Point taken but there’s no such thing as JUST card tricks. I think coinsters and mentalisticalists and escapists might feel the same about their passion.

And "dedicating" oneself to a stunt like this isn’t going to allow time for much variety.

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #22 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blathermist
I'm the first to own up to being daft, but I have no idea what either Lmao.... or  XD mean.

"Lmao" is an abbreviation for "Laugh(ing) My Ass Off". "Rotflmao" stands for "Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My Ass Off". The "XD" is a text-form of an emoji/emoticon that looks kind of like this: [biggrin] (The "X" is the closed/squinted eyes, and the "D" is the grin...........Yeah...it's a millenial thing. No worries.

0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,024
Reply with quote  #23 
Of course I know what it means. Perhaps it'd be helpful if I were more colloquial and referred to it as mental masturbation? Actually I think Sammy Hagar used that term in a song from the 80s... Not sure which, but it rings a rock and roll bell.

Av

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blathermist

Couple or several random Blatherated comments and observations in no particular order.

Regarding Fact-Checkers.

"Maybe at first, but there'd be enough evidence for fact-checkers to verify that it actually happened. Then the second wave of jaws would drop."

Sadly, evidence is not proof. I love History, but the reality is that historians aplenty spend their lives fact checking and still come up with stuff (evidence) they can’t prove. Depth Illusion or Tilt? Lots of evidence no proof.

No matter how miraculous something may be or seem to be, ultimately the usual damning conclusion will be drawn:

"It’s a trick".

That's their loss then haha; I'D know that it really happened, and I'd happily treasure the memory of that moment forever, even if everyone on earth thought it was just a trick....if anything, that might make me treasure the experience even more haha; having done something that people just couldn't fit into their heads because it was so unbelievable lol.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blathermist
Regarding the oxygen thing and how long you can manage without oxygen. A lot of it may "in the head," but if it’s not in the lungs, what then?

 In regards to oxygen, it doesn't have to be in the lungs in order to survive (at least temporarily). When you inhale, oxygen isn't just filling up your lungs, it's traveling throughout your entire body; in your muscles, in your blood, throughout your brain and all your other systems. It's like fuel. Even if you empty the gas tank on a car, it's possible to run on the fumes for a bit. That's essentially what would be happening; starved of oxygen, with none in my lungs, my body would start trying to make use of the oxygen built up throughout the rest of my body...but not for long. I just tried a little experiment, and I invite you to try it out too: Expel as much air out of your lungs as you possibly can; when you think it's all exhaled, try pushing out a little bit more in tiny "reverse sips" to make sure EVERY last shred of air that you can possibly get out is out. You'll probably start feeling like you're collapsing in on yourself; it's a bit uncomfortable, but just try to tough it out, and see how long you can go before you start hearing the horses galloping in your ears. This is your heart beat; you can't really feel it, but your heart has started working extra hard in an effort to get more oxygen to your mind and body by pumping out blood faster and faster. Eventually, you will have to suck in a breathful of air to regain the proper equilibrium. Just see how long you can go before your body reflexively inhales out of self-preservation. Don't YOU inhale; let your body do it for you. This is also uncomfortable.

My record is 20 seconds without taking a breath with no air in my lungs. I brain starts to frenzy around ten seconds; I start squirming, then I pick a dot on the ceiling to focus on like it's the only thing in the world, and I'm able to double that time. Meditation can work wonders. 

Not very long, sure, but it's long enough to travel through space a relatively significant distance....I have no idea what would happen if I reflexively inhaled a lungful of whatever's in space, but I can't imagine it'd be good, so I'd wanna keep my mouth closed at all costs. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blathermist
As for pain, that’s one thing I’ve spent all my life (so far) trying to avoid. A reasonable policy, I believe.

In regards to pain.....pain and I came to an understanding a while back. Personally, I disagree with the notion that it's reasonable to go to any great lengths to avoid pain, because the mor success you have at it, then the less accustomed you will be to pain, then the more it can destroy your will to keep fighting. If pain becomes too alien of an experience for you, then even the smaller pains in life will become a debilitating handicap. Instead, I prefer forming a relationship with pain; overcoming it. I've burned myself with cigarettes before during my experiments with pain after doing a deep relaxation exercise. Didn't even flinch and was able to form full and calm sentences while it continued burning a hole in my arm until it burned itself out. Have a huge scar there now (one on my other forearm too...I thought a repeat was in order a month later lmao). It was no biggie though because my body was already covered with scars from head to toe. Had a rough childhood. Now all I feel when I feel pain is......numb. 

Pain is just a message; you can choose to ignore the message entirely. Delete it even. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blathermist
Chi Han:

"I like variety; not limited to just card magic or just mentalism, or just coins, just rope, or just escape acts."

Point taken but there’s no such thing as JUST card tricks. I think coinsters and mentalisticalists and escapists might feel the same about their passion.

And "dedicating" oneself to a stunt like this isn’t going to allow time for much variety.

....Actually; I said that; not Chi Han, but no worries lol.

In any case, I was using the term "just" euphemistically in reference to magicians who are only into one category of magic, such as cards or coins, or escapology. I don't want a specialty; I want to do everything! I'm not dedicating myself to just this one escape act; I want to dedicate myself to Magic in general; the art of creating bubbles of utter disbelief in the hearts and minds of the masses. =)

 
PS: Yes, I already know that I'm quite...erm..."eccentric", I've spoken to enough doctors to know that there have been some seriously wrong things happening in my brain ever since I was little kid. No need to tell me to go see yet another shrink lmao, I don't need any help. I'm content to just wallow in my insanity and absurdity and see what I can make of it. Some of the greatest minds throughout human history were actually raving lunatics that changed the world. They inspire me! Help me realize that my brain being wired so differently can be an asset if I let it be. 
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #25 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
Of course I know what it means. Perhaps it'd be helpful if I were more colloquial and referred to it as mental masturbation? Actually I think Sammy Hagar used that term in a song from the 80s... Not sure which, but it rings a rock and roll bell.

Av

 

Lol....I still don't get it. Masturbation is a separate activity altogether. And there's no such thing as "mental masturbation". There aren't any sex organs up there. Merely thinking and pondering doesn't make me horny. Lol, it's just an incredibly strange term to use in this circumstance. XD 

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #26 
Oh, actually I think there is some kind of technique for ejaculating by merely thinking about it; I forget the term, but I remember being equally weirded out and fascinated by it. The power of the mind has always interested me; what we mere mortals are capable of is truly astounding. 
0
Michaelblue

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,140
Reply with quote  #27 
John--using your imagination for things like is funner: can't argue there. Have fun [smile]
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,024
Reply with quote  #28 
John, please bear in mind that I did say that I was speaking colloquially, that is, commonly or familiarly. As such the term is metaphoric and should in no way be taken literally. Another little point: the brain is the seat of all emotion and feeling. All. Bar none. I'll leave it to you to consider the implications. 

Av 
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #29 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
John, please bear in mind that I did say that I was speaking colloquially, that is, commonly or familiarly. As such the term is metaphoric and should in no way be taken literally. Another little point: the brain is the seat of all emotion and feeling. All. Bar none. I'll leave it to you to consider the implications. 

Av 

 

Ah, my bad. I have trouble grasping metaphors, sarcasm, and some jokes. I'm a very literal individual.

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #30 

Sorry; I posted this reply in the wrong thread before. Here it is now, in the right thread lol:

 

"Speaking of meditation, there's an ancient technique from Tibet called the Inner Fire meditation, or "G Tum-mo" as they call it. It taps into the human body's ability to raise it's temperature. Tibetan monks will hold contests high in the mountains to see whose G Tum-Mo is strongest. They have a couple ways of measuring. The first is by having the monks circle up and begin the inner fire meditation in the snow. Then wet towels are thrown over them. Through their will power, they're able to raise their temperatures enough to start drying the towels. Whoever dries the largest number of towels when time is up, wins the game. The second method is having monks sit in the snow and begin the inner fire meditation, getting it to a degree where it begins melting the snow around them, their half naked bodies steaming in the subzero temperatures, sweating as if they were in the friggin' Sahara! Whoever can melt the largest circle of snow around themselves, wins the game. 

 

This technique is something I intend on traveling to Tibet in order to master. It would come in handy in the vacuum of space, (or Antarctica, the Himalayas, or even my own place of birth, the Last Frontier.)

 

There was another tale of a man who accidentally locked himself in the freezer car of a freight train. He died of hypothermia. The strange part? The freezer wasn't even turned on. He only thought he was freezing to death; truly believed it with all his being, and because he thought it, his body made it a reality. 

The mind controls the body; the body must obey the mind. If you truly believe you're burning up in 148 degrees below zero, you will."

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #31 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ferguson
Its so "out there", so fantastic, that no one is going to believe it. Seeing that on tv, I think most of the public are going to see it as a bit too far fetched to be believable - it'll be put down to faking and special effects.


I just remembered something about going into space that would be a pretty solid nail in the coffin of "It-Wasn't-Faked" (although I'll admit the nail could be a little flexible.)

I wouldn't look the same coming back into the ship as I did leaving the ship lmao. 

I wouldn't freeze to death, but parts of my skin could get flash frozen, not to mention I'd have a bad sunburn from all of the unfiltered UV radiation. I'd also be bruised and purple in areas from when my body started to inflate due to the nitrogen dissolved in my bloodstream near the surface of my skin collecting itself into little bubbles. These bubbles expand, puffing me out to roughly twice my size, starting at my hands and feet then moving towards my center. It's called ebullism. Sure, I may look like the worst balloon animal ever, and feel pretty uncomfortable, but it wouldn't actually kill me right away. So between the nasty sunburn, ebullism, and flash frozen skin, (not to mention temporary blindness)..........I'm thinking it'd be hard to call it fake; it would be and look disturbingly real lol. I'd look like crap after coming back in. None of these things though would kill me, except for the ebullism but only if it's left untreated for a significant amount of time, (divers experience this occasionally; they also experience ruptured lungs if they ascend too quickly), and seeing as my very first order of business upon re-entering the ship would be to go directly to the infirmary, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, and get myself checked out by doctors who know what they're doing and preferably have a long history of treating scuba divers and astronauts lol.....I think it'd be just fine. Not something I'd want to repeat again, but something so awesome I'd cherish it for the rest of my life.....Hope I'd get a good view of Earth on the way across before the blindness sets in. 

 

PS: This is all worst-case scenario. I'd have to be out there for longer than 15 to 20 seconds in order to experience all of the nasty side effects. The flash freezing would probably occur in that time, but I'm still unsure about exactly how quickly the other symptoms would set in; I might not have to worry about them at all. 

Passing the 2 Minute mark is when all the organs in my body will have officially shut down due to lack of oxygen, which in medical terms is called "Dead." But I wouldn't plan on being out there for any longer than fifteen seconds; 20 seconds maximum. After that, I'd be going unconscious and would have to get pulled in. 

 

PPS: It'd probably be a good idea to make sure the stomach, bowel and bladder are completely emptied for over 24 hours before undertaking the challenge. I'd want my mouth and eyes to be quite dry as well. One might think it'd be a good idea to dry my skin out somehow, but that could effect it's elasticity, and depending on how quickly my body starts getting bloated, I'd want my skin to be as stretchy as possible. The whole idea about having the eyes and mouth dry is to mitigate the effects of every last drop of moisture being drawn from my body and vaporized; the less moisture in my eyes and mouth, the less the boiling sensation would be, I'd assume anyway.

0
EVILDAN

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,685
Reply with quote  #32 
My opinion is this sounds like a lot of BS. But, prove me wrong. Do it.
0
Chi Han

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,038
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blathermist

Couple or several random Blatherated comments and observations in no particular order.

Regarding Fact-Checkers.

"Maybe at first, but there'd be enough evidence for fact-checkers to verify that it actually happened. Then the second wave of jaws would drop."

Sadly, evidence is not proof. I love History, but the reality is that historians aplenty spend their lives fact checking and still come up with stuff (evidence) they can’t prove. Depth Illusion or Tilt? Lots of evidence no proof.

No matter how miraculous something may be or seem to be, ultimately the usual damning conclusion will be drawn:

"It’s a trick".

Capricorn One anyone? 

 

Regarding the oxygen thing and how long you can manage without oxygen. A lot of it may "in the head," but if it’s not in the lungs, what then?

As for pain, that’s one thing I’ve spent all my life (so far) trying to avoid. A reasonable policy, I believe. 

 

Chi Han:

"I like variety; not limited to just card magic or just mentalism, or just coins, just rope, or just escape acts."

Point taken but there’s no such thing as JUST card tricks. I think coinsters and mentalisticalists and escapists might feel the same about their passion.

And "dedicating" oneself to a stunt like this isn’t going to allow time for much variety.



I never said that.
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #34 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Han


I never said that.

 

That's what I told him. 

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #35 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILDAN
My opinion is this sounds like a lot of BS. But, prove me wrong. Do it.

It's gonna take a while lol. But you can prove it to yourself in the mean time, I'm sure; just start researching the effects of a vacuum on the human body; thanks to the incident in the footage below from the 60s, we have a general idea of what would happen:

0
Blathermist

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,024
Reply with quote  #36 

Responding to the "I never said that" comments of Messrs Hamilton and Chi Han.  

You are both correct, but then, of course you knew that. Normally infallible, my fingers clearly lost contact with what passes for my brain.  

I also realise that for reasons that escape me, I forgot to have my regular Friday afternoon nap yesterday and didn’t take my anti-senility serum either.

I think I’ve made a note to the tune of "Must try harder. Although I can't find it at the moment, so I'll have to try to remember to make what might be a second note.

 Regarding "Just Card Tricks."

This is one of my standard responses to the oft-used term. I could mitigate the remark with a Smiley or similar, but either the humour makes its mark or it doesn’t.
Notwithstanding all this blather, the point, such as it is, stands,

0
Bmat

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #37 
This post started 10 days ago.  I'm interested to know if you have tried it yet. 
__________________
bmat10@wordpress.com
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmat
This post started 10 days ago.  I'm interested to know if you have tried it yet. 

 

The Space Escape? Don't be ridiculous; it would be years, decades even, if ever, before I'd be completely ready to attempt it. At this point, it's nothing but a little idea I've been toying around with in my head; something to research when I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Sometimes I learn something new about the scenario that I had overlooked before. Occasionally I'll have an idea on how to make it even cooler. It's just for fun for now.

 

Right now I'm thinking about getting a job at a resteraunt that's soon-to-be hiring magicians; I got an inside tip by performing tricks for customers at the store I used to work at; got laid off last Saturday. The tricks I performed at work consisted of a basic "Pick-A-Card Trick", the "Hands-Off Mixed-Up Pure Impossibility", a "Four Aces" trick, an "Order From Chaos" trick, an "All Suits Come Together" trick, along with some other tricks like the old Pencil Up the Nose (or, as I like to do it, "In the Ear, Out the Mouth, then Up the Nose). Also did the classic torn and restored napkin, and a levitating ball illusion that I invented myself when I was locked up. At least I assume I invented it, but chances are someone else probably came up with the same idea at some point. Only works from a certain angle, but looks really good from that angle. I've been doing it with a crumple up paper towel though; didn't have any balls. Hardy har har. [rolleyes]

0
Bmat

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #39 
Sorry I was trying to be funny. 
__________________
bmat10@wordpress.com
0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #40 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmat
Sorry I was trying to be funny. 

 

Ah, no worries. I have difficulty detecting jokes and sarcasm lol. I'm too literal. [crazy]

0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,024
Reply with quote  #41 
Let the countdown begin! He wants to take along five artists, but doesn't specify what sort - an escape artist, perhaps?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/science/spacex-moon-tourism-passenger.html

Av

0
Inactive

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 86
Reply with quote  #42 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
Let the countdown begin! He wants to take along five artists, but doesn't specify what sort - an escape artist, perhaps?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/science/spacex-moon-tourism-passenger.html

Av

 

Aw dang; my hopes were up for a second until it said the departure date wasn't gonna be until 2023. That's way too soon to get ready for the space escape sadly; I'd have to commit almost every waking hour to training, instead of gradually building myself up. I'd like to preferably have years of free-diving training, some years of high altitude mountaineering, a year or two of skydiving, and however many years it takes to develop superior Biofeedback skills, (controlling involuntary bodily functions with the mind, such as heartrate, adrenaline, temperature, etc). I'd basically have to make myself as superhuman as possible in order to suceed at traveling through the vacuum of space without a suit. A lot of things need to come together for the scenario to be most ideal for survival in the end.

 

But that's definitely the guy I'd want to speak with when the time comes! [biggrin]

0
Paul Hallas

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,125
Reply with quote  #43 
I'm trying to escape from this thread 😉
0
Wayne T

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 264
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
Let the countdown begin! He wants to take along five artists, but doesn't specify what sort - an escape artist, perhaps?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/science/spacex-moon-tourism-passenger.html

Av



It would be just my luck to pay the ticket and have the screaming baby or the kid kicking my seat to spoil it.

__________________
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.