Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 417
Reply with quote  #1 
Some of you knew I’m involved with a weekly Kids’ group. I normally get a spot at the end for about 15 minutes to do fun magic with them (ranging from 5-9 years old), usually around a table. Kids can sit around or just stand. With Covid-19, we continue the meetings via Zoom. Any general advice about how best to manage a magic fun time via Zoom? One thought I had was doing some prediction stuff, with a parent handing a kid the prediction that I have already sent them in a sealed envelope that they open in front of the Zoom group. I think one of my main concerns is to keep the experience as interactive as possible, giving them a sense that they are still in a ‘group’.
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,793
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi John,

Recently, I did magic for a group of kids via Zoom and it turned out really well and everyone seemed to have lots of fun.

I used my grandson, Oliver as an assistant. I felt that having him there with me would help bridge the obvious distance between the children and I. 



I performed a sponge ball routine, silk to sleeve, the vanishing milk trick, color changing silk (performed in the video), and then closed with the magic drawing board singing happy birthday to the birthday boy.

My advice would be to make sure that you have someone knowledgeable about the Zoom app. It's important for the parent to give clear directions about how to "pin" your video so that their screen remains focused on your video feed and doesn't bounce back and forth to the other folks attending the call.

It was also my goal to make each routine as interactive as possible. The kids were shouting all the magic words that helped Oliver be successful in accomplishing the magic.

Rudy



__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Michael b

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 331
Reply with quote  #3 
Loved the video ........funny....funny......funny......yellow to bread . Sorry that my zoom performance experience is na da.....but I will continue thinking on this subject.

Michael b
0
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 417
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the thoughtful tips, Rudy. I loved how the ‘yellow to bread’ cracked up one of the kids as he he ‘got it’! Yes, I’m on a steep learning curve with Zoom but learning day by day. ‘Pinning’ the zoom really helped the focus. I’ll do an email out to the parents. I think I’ll have to ‘borrow’ one of my grandkids to partner up.
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,793
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cowne
Thanks for the thoughtful tips, Rudy. I loved how the ‘yellow to bread’ cracked up one of the kids as he he ‘got it’! Yes, I’m on a steep learning curve with Zoom but learning day by day. ‘Pinning’ the zoom really helped the focus. I’ll do an email out to the parents. I think I’ll have to ‘borrow’ one of my grandkids to partner up.


I'm glad that you and MichaelB enjoyed the video. The routine for the color changing handkerchief is from Silly Bill's book. I highly recommend it. He's brilliant and really knows what it takes to entertain kids.

I think that the show would have been a flop without Oliver. He really allowed the kids to take part in the show vicariously through him. 

Let me know if you need any further details or help with anything.

Take care, John.

Rudy

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #6 
Awesome stuff right there!
0
Magic Harry

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 409
Reply with quote  #7 
Reminded me of the good old days performing at birthday parties. I feel like I get lucky just being able to join sessions and lectures on Zoom so starting a meeting would be beyond me so far. I really enjoyed watching
Magic Harry

__________________
Harry Damareck
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,793
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS

Rudy - the video was great and having your grandson really did do the job you wanted of bridging the distance. I could see it in the video.


Thanks EricS! I appreciate you taking time to watch it!

Rudy

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 417
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Tinoco


I'm glad that you and MichaelB enjoyed the video. The routine for the color changing handkerchief is from Silly Bill's book. I highly recommend it. He's brilliant and really knows what it takes to entertain kids.

I think that the show would have been a flop without Oliver. He really allowed the kids to take part in the show vicariously through him. 

Let me know if you need any further details or help with anything.

Take care, John.

Rudy

Thanks Rudy: were you referring to David Kaye’s ‘Seriously Silly’ or ‘Supersized Silly’? Both sound awesome, but I’ll need to restrict myself to one purchase for now (gotta watch the budget😏). I’m also getting some sponge bread!
0
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 417
Reply with quote  #10 
John - would love to know how the "prediction sent to a parent" goes if you choose that route. I like the idea. Good luck with it.


Shall do, Eric. I’ll probably organise that one in a week or two.
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,793
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cowne

Thanks Rudy: were you referring to David Kaye’s ‘Seriously Silly’ or ‘Supersized Silly’? Both sound awesome, but I’ll need to restrict myself to one purchase for now (gotta watch the budget😏). I’m also getting some sponge bread!


It's from Seriously Silly. I haven't read Supersized Silly, but can't highly recommend the first book.

Sponge Bread is smart. I used a slightly toasted piece of real bread. Every once in a while, I'll take a bite out of it. Gross, but the kids like it 😉

Rudy

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 417
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Tinoco


. I used a slightly toasted piece of real bread. Every once in a while, I'll take a bite out of it. Gross, but the kids like it 😉

Rudy

I understand ... It’s all for the cause of the Art! Art must feel really loved!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.