Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #1 
A nice assortment to fall asleep to. : )

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20170108_201732.jpg, Views: 86, Size: 173.24 KB 

0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,789
Reply with quote  #2 
Some great books you've got there!!
__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,645
Reply with quote  #3 
"Magic as a Hobby" was one of my very first magic texts.  So many hours spent reading and re-reading that book [smile]

0
JohnnyNewYork

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 272
Reply with quote  #4 
Magicfish -- From the clips you've posted in the past you've ALWAYS impressed me (and others, I'm sure) with your excellent card handling skills (!) -- now I can see at least one reason why as that is a great stack of books to have! When I first got interested in close-up card magic (not too long ago), I thought it would be relatively "inexpensive"; from all of the books and videos cited by forum members (and even with my own relatively small but quickly-expanding collection), that is definiitely not the case -- but it sure is FUN seriously pursuing magic and discussing this art with others who obviously feel the same way! johnny
0
Paul Hallas

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,154
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfish
A nice assortment to fall asleep to. : )


So, is that just the content of one bookcase shelf? [wink]

0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Dawes
"Magic as a Hobby" was one of my very first magic texts.  So many hours spent reading and re-reading that book [smile]


Hey Robin, what a great little book isnt it?
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNewYork
Magicfish -- From the clips you've posted in the past you've ALWAYS impressed me (and others, I'm sure) with your excellent card handling skills (!) -- now I can see at least one reason why as that is a great stack of books to have! When I first got interested in close-up card magic (not too long ago), I thought it would be relatively "inexpensive"; from all of the books and videos cited by forum members (and even with my own relatively small but quickly-expanding collection), that is definiitely not the case -- but it sure is FUN seriously pursuing magic and discussing this art with others who obviously feel the same way! johnny


Thankyou for those kind words, Johnny.
Ive certainly invested a lot of time and money into my library but it has been worth every penny and every second. The joy I get from studying them far exceeds the dollar value.
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hallas


So, is that just the content of one bookcase shelf? [wink]


Lol. I'll bring up a stack from my library periodically so I can study upstairs. After some complaining from my spouse, I take a few back down ....and bring up a few more.
My upstairs stack is constantly changing.
0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,645
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfish
Hey Robin, what a great little book isnt it?


Absolutely!  My AC routine is basically the one he teaches.
0
Gareth

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,034
Reply with quote  #10 
Dear magicfish. Firstly I second JohnnyNewYork's sentiments.

We've briefly mentioned this to each other previously here and a while ago on the cafe but Aronson's Art Decko is one of my favourite books. For someone who doesn't use his stack (or mem deck work in general, flirted with it in the past) it is full of gold both practical and theoretical.

Random Sample Shuffle Bored and the 'On The Spot' and 'Totals' sections full of beautiful effects. 

Gareth
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
Dear magicfish. Firstly I second JohnnyNewYork's sentiments.

We've briefly mentioned this to each other previously here and a while ago on the cafe but Aronson's Art Decko is one of my favourite books. For someone who doesn't use his stack (or mem deck work in general, flirted with it in the past) it is full of gold both practical and theoretical.

Random Sample Shuffle Bored and the 'On The Spot' and 'Totals' sections full of beautiful effects. 

Gareth

Thankyou, Gareth. I appreciate that.
Art Decko is an excellent book as are all of Aronson's books. Have you learned Double- Ment yet?
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #12 
One of the books has no title on the spine. Can anyone guess it?
0
Waterman

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 707
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfish
One of the books has no title on the spine. Can anyone guess it?


Tricks with a Blank Deck?
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #14 
Nosir
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,543
Reply with quote  #15 
Is the one with the blank spine one of the Vernon books?

Mike
0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,645
Reply with quote  #16 
It's about the right size for the Paul LePaul book

Robin
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #17 
Nice try Robin. Not LePaul.
This book is not strictly cards although it does include card magic, close-up magic parlor mentalism etc.
0
Ferry Gerats

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #18 
My guess: Top Secrets of Magic by J.G. Thompson Jr.
__________________
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #19 
Ferry Gerats, you sir, are the man!
100% correct!
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,543
Reply with quote  #20 
Good work Ferry. I never would have gotten it.

Mike
0
magicfish

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,302
Reply with quote  #21 
Here it is! Great job Ferry.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20170112_191542.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 123.18 KB 

0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,645
Reply with quote  #22 
Another wonderful book from the past!  You are inspiring me to revisit these marvelous books from earlier times.
0
Gareth

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,034
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfish
Thankyou, Gareth. I appreciate that. Art Decko is an excellent book as are all of Aronson's books. Have you learned Double- Ment yet?


I remember going through it a while back and just finding it hard to believe it would mystify. How wrong I was. I recall you impressing on me it was a great effect and principle. So I sat down with it today. Tried it out on my in-laws this evening who are extremely hard to impress.

They were blown away. They said that's one of the best I've ever shown them and they were thoroughly bamboozled.

It's a gem. Such a powerful application of a basic principle.

Gareth





 
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.