Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
John Cowne

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi. I’m John Cowne from New South Wales in Australia. I use my developing magic skills mainly in my role at church with kids ministry and in schools teaching Scripture. My newest ‘favourite skill’ is using the Palmo.
0
luigimar

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 1,148
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi John! Welcome to TMF! We hope to read your posts and your questions (if any) to get to know you better!

We have some people who also live in Australia (Garreth and Chi Han among others) so maybe you could get together someday!



__________________
Luigimar
Magic is Within...
0
John Cowne

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #3 
Many thanks, Luigimar. Everyone is very friendly here. Ive already been looking around and already found that great video attachment on the Snap Change. What a conversation-starter! I hope to do my ‘share of sharing’ when I think I’ve got something to contribute.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,287
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cowne
Hi. I’m John Cowne from New South Wales in Australia. I use my developing magic skills mainly in my role at church with kids ministry and in schools teaching Scripture. My newest ‘favourite skill’ is using the Palmo.


Welcome! I love the Palmo Ball and used to use it extensively. I own two, one flesh colored celluloid with a single hole and a second made of brass with two holes that can be used like a dye tube. I love being able to classic palm it during the silk routine to allow for clean displays.

Would love to hear more about how you use magic in your church.

Again, welcome.
0
John Cowne

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Ray,
The last time was at our kids group (GLOW) last week with kids from kindy up to year 5, usually between 50-60 kids from the local schools. The theme was ‘magical’, so I was chosen to lead (MC) the afternoon. All the kids know I’m the one that ‘does magic’ so I did a mini-show of about quarter of an hour before we broke up for an afternoon snack, talk and games. I also usually get to have about quarter of an hour at the end of GLOW each week while waiting for kids to be picked up by parents. The kids have different ‘activity stations’ in that time, directed by members of our GLOW team, so that’s where I can do some ‘close-up magic’; the audience often grows to include some parents. It’s a great environment to hone up on patter, angles, dealing with the pleas of “Do it again!”, and learning to relate to a delightful audience. I thought I might post an outline of my routine, if that interests anyone in another Topics area.
Oh...and my Palmo is the Laflin one: with the 1” and 3/4” holes. I got it from the USA as they’re not stocked in Aussie magic shops as far as I can tell. Initially, the ‘flesh’ colour gives confidence re: minimising flashes, but the more I use it, I think it could be bright green while using any coloured silks and still not be an issue. I’m definitely enjoying it, although my TT’s still get a good workout.
0
Mbreggar

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 437
Reply with quote  #6 
Welcome aboard John! You’ll have a great time here!
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 253
Reply with quote  #7 
Hello and welcome from California, John!
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,287
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cowne
Thanks Ray,
The last time was at our kids group (GLOW) last week with kids from kindy up to year 5, usually between 50-60 kids from the local schools. The theme was ‘magical’, so I was chosen to lead (MC) the afternoon. All the kids know I’m the one that ‘does magic’ so I did a mini-show of about quarter of an hour before we broke up for an afternoon snack, talk and games. I also usually get to have about quarter of an hour at the end of GLOW each week while waiting for kids to be picked up by parents. The kids have different ‘activity stations’ in that time, directed by members of our GLOW team, so that’s where I can do some ‘close-up magic’; the audience often grows to include some parents. It’s a great environment to hone up on patter, angles, dealing with the pleas of “Do it again!”, and learning to relate to a delightful audience. I thought I might post an outline of my routine, if that interests anyone in another Topics area.
Oh...and my Palmo is the Laflin one: with the 1” and 3/4” holes. I got it from the USA as they’re not stocked in Aussie magic shops as far as I can tell. Initially, the ‘flesh’ colour gives confidence re: minimising flashes, but the more I use it, I think it could be bright green while using any coloured silks and still not be an issue. I’m definitely enjoying it, although my TT’s still get a good workout.


Very cool that you can mix your magic into your church structure. Some find that challenging.

You are right about the Palmo ball, like TTs it might as well be chrome plated if you use it properly. I never bought into pointing your TT at the crowd, seems odd to me. Not something natural.

My Palmos are so old who knows who made them. The brass one is likely over 50 years old as I aquired it from an older magician more than 30 years ago and it was old then. He also sold me an old dye tube that had the sliding cup. I don't know if they even make them anymore. Mine is around 2" diameter I believe. Hold 4 - 12" silks comfortably.

Nice to learn more about you. Have fun here!
0
arthur stead

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 665
Reply with quote  #9 
When I was still performing I did some great Laffin-Inspired silk routines using a palmo.  Wonderful prop!  
__________________
http://www.arthurstead.com
0
Lucas Maillard

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 62
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi John,

Welcome to TMF. I hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Cheers,

Lucas.
0
Kike C.

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #11 
Hi John!

Welcome to the forum 

Come in and get comfortable [wink]

Kike

__________________
Kike C.
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 893
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimar
Hi John! Welcome to TMF! We hope to read your posts and your questions (if any) to get to know you better!

We have some people who also live in Australia (Garreth and Chi Han among others) so maybe you could get together someday!




G’day John and a hearty TMF welcome from Tassie. 🤓
0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,367
Reply with quote  #13 
Hi John

Welcome!  Another colonial boy here - from the wilds of Canada.

Rudy Tinoco (the founder of TMF) is an active minister.


Robin
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,435
Reply with quote  #14 
Hey, John! Glad to have you here!

Av
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.