Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Mind Phantom

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,491
Reply with quote  #1 
This is a thing of beauty. On a scale from 1 to 10, this is a ten. I don't really have any coin skills, so I am wondering if I could do this or not..



There is a certain flow to it that makes sense. It's like the mirror that does the magic.

What are your thoughts?

Rick-



__________________
Self Concept Is Destiny...
0
Magic Harry

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 409
Reply with quote  #2 
It is an amazing trick. Just thinking... the first production out of the mirror and later the vanish could be a shell coin, but I don't know how the final production of the last 2 , making 4, came from.
Paul Harris had a similar trick called Twilight  and Tenyo made a gimmicked version.
Magic Harry

__________________
Harry Damareck
0
Jack Deschain

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 64
Reply with quote  #3 
Both, the original Twilight and Super Twilight are in Art of Astonishment volume 2. Super Twilight does use a little something extra but it's a fairly common item to coin workers.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,989
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Phantom
This is a thing of beauty. On a scale from 1 to 10, this is a ten. I don't really have any coin skills, so I am wondering if I could do this or not..



There is a certain flow to it that makes sense. It's like the mirror that does the magic.

What are your thoughts?

Rick-




The first two phases are sleight-free and you could do them right away. The last phase would require being able to classis Palm two coins and drop them separately. Not super hard so long as you practice. It has the advantage of holding the mirror to eliminate any "cramped hand" tendencies.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,989
Reply with quote  #5 
BTW, this effect might lend itself to producing a jumbo coin or perhaps a silver dollar. You know the way mirrors can distort objects?
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,542
Reply with quote  #6 
RayJ is correct. The first phases are very easy.

I had an effect in Top Secret Stuff where the mirror covers half the coin and then tilts, making the coin look bent. When it's pulled aside, it actually is bent. That's one phase. The effect is:

"The performer explains that mirrors can actually produce magic. To exhibit this, the performer uses a mirror to produce a real coin from the reflection of a coin in the mirror. The mirror then shrinks this coin until it vanishes. The performer now notes that when the mirror is tilted while near the middle of a coin, the coin appears to be bent. A the mirror is slowly slid off the coin, the coin is seen to really be bent. Illusion has become reality. Finally, the mirror is used to straighten the bent coin which is then handed out for examination."

It's an interesting idea, but I like what Daniel Cross is doing better. Very pure and uncluttered.

M
0
arthur stead

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,046
Reply with quote  #7 

I also concur that the first phases of Paul Harris’ Twilight are easy.  I used to do this trick with audiences of one or two people, and it went over well.  But I dropped it from my repertoire because of the angle problems.  Basically your audience has to be sitting right in front of you.


__________________
http://www.arthurstead.com
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,989
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur stead

I also concur that the first phases of Paul Harris’ Twilight are easy.  I used to do this trick with audiences of one or two people, and it went over well.  But I dropped it from my repertoire because of the angle problems.  Basically your audience has to be sitting right in front of you.



Very true, which makes it perfect for Zoom presentations where you have complete control.
0
Mind Phantom

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,491
Reply with quote  #9 
I'll guess I have to pass on this one. Lack of coin skills and angle problems do it for me. But it is still a visually impressive routine.
__________________
Self Concept Is Destiny...
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,989
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Phantom
I'll guess I have to pass on this one. Lack of coin skills and angle problems do it for me. But it is still a visually impressive routine.


Note they holding the mirror in the other orientation, long dimension parallel to the table, helps with angles. At least a bit.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.