Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,402
Reply with quote  #1 

“Favorite Marlo Effect” was just resurrected on the Magic Café. I went through the thread and extracted most of the recommendations. There are some great items on this list. I’ll be spending time today with the Unexpected Card Book which I bought from Ed on November 18, 1978. I was 31 years old! Ed signed it “Copy 204 To Michael Powers “May you find some unexpected miracles you can use.”

I haven’t checked the references for accuracy. Hopefully they’re mostly correct.

Don’t get overwhelmed by the list. I’d recommend looking up a couple of these items. There’s some great stuff here:

Breaking the Rule (The Card Magic of E.Marlo)

The Lonely Card (IBIDEM)

Satirical Signed Card (The Card Magic of E.Marlo)

6-card trick

Olram's Updated Collins (The Card Magic of E.Marlo)

Illusion or Reality (Private Studies vid)

Impromptu Chamele Aces (Unexpected Card Book)

Spec cuts the Aces (Wimhurst version)

Multiple minus Any Ace called for (Advanced Fingertip control)

Mental Reverse - Cardician

Card at Any Number - Card Magic of Edward Marlo (Under the Clip Pass section).

Topsy Turvy Ace Control - The Patented False Shuffle.

"Marlocator" is an effect I've received great reactions from. And, it is almost self-working. It can be found in the great "Marlo in Spades." (suggested by Bill Goodwin)

Oil and Water

Marlo's Deep face up switch as a sleight

Spectator cuts the aces

Schmaltzy Showman’s Prediction (The Unexpected Card Book)

"Mental Topper" (M.I.N.T. 1)

"Rise-Rise-Rise" (Tabled Palm)

The classic "Fingertip Miracle" (Faro Notes)

"Miracle Ace Cutting" (Faro Controlled Miracles)

"Unexpected Prediction" (Sharpe books and elsewhere)

The "Touch Turn" genre (Linking Ring and elsewhere)

"The Invisible Toss" (Unexpected Card Book)

"Female" (35 Years Later)

"Marlo-Gardner Poker Deal" (Tears book and elsewhere)

"Collectors" (unknown to most - - - the 3 selection / 4 ace idea is Marlo's)

"Marlo's Unforgettable Wild Card," and "The Emerging Card" (Advanced Fingertip Control).

Topsy Turvy Aces

Push Through Failure - The Cardician.

MARLO´S MINDREADER its a monster killer effect  from "The Card Magic of EDWARD MARLO" - page 236.

Chapter in Marlo's Magazine Vol.1 on page 197 called "Improved Procedure for the Invisible Toss".

“The Spectator Removes ‘Em” – Marlo Magazine 6

The next nine are from Michael Vincent:

Devilish Miracle

Miracle Ace Cutting

The Invisible Card-(My own handling but Marlo's can be found in the Tears Book)

Future Classic

Mental Reverse

One Shuffle Eddie-(my own handling)

Marlo's Rub a Dub

Topsy Turvy Aces

Fingertip Miracle

========

The Ace of Spades Trick – Card Magic vol 4 video

Marlo’s Automatic Placement – The New Phoenix

Mental Topper

Topsy Turvy Aces

Killer Clock-Work

 

 

0
luigimar

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 1,566
Reply with quote  #2 
One of my favorites is Marlo's Miracle Routine. I only do 3 phases (sometimes 4) and it kills! 

I also like Automatic Placement. Mike, would you say it is a procedure/control more than a trick?

__________________
Luigimar
Magic is Within...
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,402
Reply with quote  #3 
The Miracle Routine is from the Spades book. That's a really excellent little booklet. It's available as an eBook from http://www.trickshop.com. Right now the price is $3.45! Normally the price is $5.95 - still a super bargain.

Automatic Placement (New Phoenix) always seemed like a procedure/control rather than a trick. After the procedure we know the selection's position, generally 26. The trick becomes how to use this knowledge effectively. With the selection at 26, Faro shuffle ideas come to mind e.g. Incomplete Faro etc. or Sandwich. Many ways to go. 

Dealing 26 cards for the spec to remember what card is at his "secret" number is really tedious since the secret number is likely around 13 or 14. If you deal 20 cards FU the selection ends at 32 i.e. 6 more than 26. As Marlo points out, you can adjust things from there.

I like to do a Faro check and note the 26th card. The spec is instructed to cut more than half, leaving less than 26 cards on the table. She counts the cards. Let's say it's 14. You now spread your cards FU and point at each card in succession, counting from 1 to, say, 20. The spec will have seen her card by now. Square up and spread looking for your key card (the one that was 26th). Say, "You didn't think of this card did you." Just cut the key to the face and her card is 26th.

There are other placement procedures that resemble this variation on Automatic Placement.

Mike
0
James Sievert

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 164
Reply with quote  #4 
"Have Another Sandwich" from the 5-6 issue of Hierophant.
__________________

Rev 21:4
2 Cor 4:16-18

Jeremiah 11:29
Isaiah 55:8,9
Isaiah 41:10

0
Dorian Rhodell

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 147
Reply with quote  #5 
I love and always perform his color changing deck. It's so practical.
0
trinimontes

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 307
Reply with quote  #6 
Marlo's Bluff Sandwich - Heirophant
Bluff Ace Assembly - Ireland Yearbook
14-14-14 Prediction - Marlo Without Tears
Traveling Card - Cardician
Think Touch Turn - MINT 2
Unexpected Prediction - Expert Card Conjuring
Invisible Toss - Card Finesse 2
Card Substitution - Marlo's Magazine vol.1
KBV Blue Aces - Linking Ring Magazine (also in Marlo in The Linking Ring)
Marlo's Follow The Leader - The Gen magazine
EG Brown Mental Card Across - Ibidem
Omni-Twist - Good Turns and Twists
7-Card Assembly - Ibidem
Real Gone Aces - Linking Ring Magazine (also in Marlo in The Linking Ring)

Just to name a few of my favorites to perform.



Trini
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,150
Reply with quote  #7 
Don't hate me because I'm honest, but I've never been a big Marlo fan. I know, I know. I realize that his contributions are invaluable, and I genuflect at his skill and creativity. Even so, he was never a big influence, at least not directly. I purchased the entire Malone Meets Marlo set from L&L shortly after it came out, and found only a handful of effect that interested me enough to learn.

Michael Breggar recommended Marlo Without Tears, and I bought the e-book from Lybrary, but haven't yet read it. I see a couple listed already, but perhaps someone can recommend a couple of others from that book that might convert me?

Av 
0
Michaelblue

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,234
Reply with quote  #8 
I 2nd bluff ace assembly. I also like blindfold poker deal fromLet's See the Deck
0
Bill Guinee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 253
Reply with quote  #9 
Back in 1980 or so, I was working at the New York Lounge in Chicago. It was a crazy busy night and we were really hustling (in more ways than one). While I was pouring drinks for a group at one end of the bar some old guy said: "Show me something quick, kid." So, I did "No Glide Aces, 2nd Method" from the Cardician for him (a great clean red for black ace transposition) using my own silly sucker routine. The guy said "Not bad."  And, I went back to furiously pouring drinks and entertaining the mobs. 

A few minutes later, Heba Haba Al came up behind me and said: "How did Marlo like your trick?" I hadn't recognized him. I had had the audacity to do an Ed Marlo trick for Ed Marlo, and I didn't even give him the credit or thank him.

But, to this day, I hang on to that moment. Someday I may have a poster made of me with the caption "Marlo Said He Wasn't Bad."
0
markd2990

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 76
Reply with quote  #10 
Great thread Mike!!!

72 years old . . . no way! Seriously you look GREAT for your age and love your years of experience you bring to the board and this thread!

I'm hopeful to see some recommendations from the Mags as I have only got through the first one. The others are on my bucket list.

Quote:
Don't hate me because I'm honest, but I've never been a big Marlo fan.


Anthony . . . surely you're trying your hand at comedy . . . and if in fact . . it's not funny. [smile]  Now get to digging through his stuff . . . there is gold in his material!!!

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,415
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson
Don't hate me because I'm honest, but I've never been a big Marlo fan. I know, I know. I realize that his contributions are invaluable, and I genuflect at his skill and creativity. Even so, he was never a big influence, at least not directly. I purchased the entire Malone Meets Marlo set from L&L shortly after it came out, and found only a handful of effect that interested me enough to learn.

Michael Breggar recommended Marlo Without Tears, and I bought the e-book from Lybrary, but haven't yet read it. I see a couple listed already, but perhaps someone can recommend a couple of others from that book that might convert me?

Av 


No hate from me.  There are always people with whom you just don't "click".  That is the case with actors, singers, etc.  Everybody has different tastes.

Marlo's published works are so voluminous that there is bound to be something for most anyone.  In fact, it is likely true that magicians regularly perform effects that are Marlo's or inspired by Marlo without their awareness.
0
trinimontes

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 307
Reply with quote  #12 
I forgot to add these 2....
My handling of Marlo's Not All Psychological - Published here on the forum Trick Section and later to be in Mike Powers' Card Corner column in The Linking Ring
My addition to This Is A 4 King Trick - Published here on the forum Trick Section

The originals are still good....
Not All Psychological - The Card Magic of Edward Marlo
This Is a 4 King Trick - Heirophant Magazine


Mental Toppers are good.
Invisible Toss is GREAT
Not sure if I have shared this one before on here, but Racherbaumer and I have a version of the Clock Effect that has a Color Changing Deck kicker. We called it "Clocked By a Coocoo". I will have to look to see if I can find it here on the forum.

So to add..... if you like gaffs, there is a one man issue of Ibidem called Marlo's Revenge. All gaffed effects.


Ok so I need to stop here because the more I type, the more that come to mind of effects that I used to perform that are good in my opinion. LOL



Best,
Trini
0
trinimontes

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 307
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Guinee
Back in 1980 or so, I was working at the New York Lounge in Chicago. It was a crazy busy night and we were really hustling (in more ways than one). While I was pouring drinks for a group at one end of the bar some old guy said: "Show me something quick, kid." So, I did "No Glide Aces, 2nd Method" from the Cardician for him (a great clean red for black ace transposition) using my own silly sucker routine. The guy said "Not bad."  And, I went back to furiously pouring drinks and entertaining the mobs. 

A few minutes later, Heba Haba Al came up behind me and said: "How did Marlo like your trick?" I hadn't recognized him. I had had the audacity to do an Ed Marlo trick for Ed Marlo, and I didn't even give him the credit or thank him.

But, to this day, I hang on to that moment. Someday I may have a poster made of me with the caption "Marlo Said He Wasn't Bad."



Bill this is an AWESOME story. How cool is that!!! I only wish I was in magic when Marlo was alive. I would have made a point to go visit him in Chicago. From the stories I have been told, he was always very welcoming to visiting magicians. And the fact that you got to meet Heba Haba Al is cool too!!


Thank You,
Trini
0
Paco Nagata

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 323
Reply with quote  #14 
As far as I know, here it is very welcome to resurrect old threads, so, having a look to this one, born before me in this forum, I noticed that nobody mentioned a Marlo's masterpiece called "Aces over Kings" from "Marlo In Spades" (page 52; the last trick).
It is practically impromptu and a true gem effect that was, by the way, one of the Fred Kaps' favourites card tricks according to Ascanio. In fact, Ascanio had got his own handling called "A Marlo Effect" in Part Two of "The Magic of Ascanio" by Jesús Etcheverry.
It's a lovely effect I have had in my general repertoire all my amateur card magic life, up to the point to develope a metaphorical story with the routine; a little tale for children I called "Ducks and Swans." I talk about it on page 280 of my book (only the story, not the method; anyway, the method looks pretty obvious for a well-informed card magician).
Well, I love this routine, so I just wanted to remark it in this thread [smile]

__________________
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician" https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado" https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn
Latest erratum corrections and improvements update, 16/06/2020
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,415
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco Nagata
As far as I know, here it is very welcome to resurrect old threads, so, having a look to this one, born before me in this forum, I noticed that nobody mentioned a Marlo's masterpiece called "Aces over Kings" from "Marlo In Spades" (page 52; the last trick).
It is practically impromptu and a true gem effect that was, by the way, one of the Fred Kaps' favourites card tricks according to Ascanio. In fact, Ascanio had got his own handling called "A Marlo Effect" in Part Two of "The Magic of Ascanio" by Jesús Etcheverry.
It's a lovely effect I have had in my general repertoire all my amateur card magic life, up to the point to develope a metaphorical story with the routine; a little tale for children I called "Ducks and Swans." I talk about it on page 280 of my book (only the story, not the method; anyway, the method looks pretty obvious for a well-informed card magician).
Well, I love this routine, so I just wanted to remark it in this thread [smile]


Paco, around here we encourage folks to resurrect threads.  All too often topics get lost in the weeds and die a premature death.  So if you find a thread that is begging to be "rejuvenated", do it!

As far as the routine in question, and the book it is in, they are both great.  I bought 'Marlo in Spades' at a magic convention.  I didn't know that it was still in print at the time and was happily surprised to find a copy.  It has some very interesting items in it and is worth searching for.
0
Socrates

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 857
Reply with quote  #16 
The Cardician has some great material within - I really like his approach to the 21 card trick, I used to combine it with his Traveling card from the same book....
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,402
Reply with quote  #17 
The Cardician is a must have and I think it's fairly inexpensive.

M
0
Jack Deschain

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 52
Reply with quote  #18 
The Card Magic of Ed Marlo is on sale at llepub for those that aren't aware. I must admit that I've never read it but for $9.95 I'll most likely be grabbing it tomorrow.

https://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=9
0
Socrates

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 857
Reply with quote  #19 
Also liked the 'Wishing Card' and 'Double Thought', again both can be found in The Cardician... it's such a long time since I had that book but I remember the ones I liked to perform - over the years I have given away so many magic books to magical friends of mine.
0
MarekT

Member
Registered:
Posts: 28
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Powers
The Cardician is a must have and I think it's fairly inexpensive.

M


Agree with you Mike. I have recently bought this book and its worth every cent 😉. Marlo's books are all full of great material and a great source of inspiration.

For me the favorites are :

Devilish miracle redux 
Future classic double cross
The Money Card
Self-locating predictions
0
trinimontes

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 307
Reply with quote  #21 
One of my favorite topics

Marlo Marlo Marlo

Not in any particular order
1. 7-Card Assembly
2. Bluff Ace Assembly
3. This is a 4 king trick
4. Estimation Aces
5. Push-Through Failure
6. Invisible Toss
7. Unexpected Prediction
8. Mental Topper
9. Bluff Sandwich
10. All You Have To Do Is Watch
11. Cardician Makes Good
12. Ever Ready Black Routine
13. Think Touch Turn
14. Real Gone Aces
15. Have Another Sandwich
16. Spade Routine
17. The Magic 7
18. Movie Transpo
19. Marlo's Color Changing Deck
20. 14-14-14 Prediction


Just to name a few. 😉
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,402
Reply with quote  #22 
I have so much overlap with your list Trini. Great calls. 

Mike
0
Paco Nagata

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 323
Reply with quote  #23 
"Think Touch Turn."
Great call!
I've performed this one a few times as it has been one of my Marlo's favourites too.
Great reactions. Very recommendable.

__________________
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician" https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado" https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn
Latest erratum corrections and improvements update, 16/06/2020
0
Bill Guinee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 253
Reply with quote  #24 
This is such a nice thread; I am glad that it has been resurrected at this time as I have been on a bit of a Marlo binge in my reading. I have recently re-read the Cardician and Marlo in Spades and have worked my way through Revolutionary Card Technique (my favorite). Now I am bouncing around a bit in MINT. I really love watching the way Marlo's mind works on method issues.
However, I eliminate a great deal of Marlo tricks right off the bat. A few get dumped simply because the amount of time that it would take to learn them properly is not worth the effort - but this is relatively few.
Many more get eliminated because they are clearly designed to be performed for other cardicians; he loved to fool his fellow magicians. Often these tricks are too complicated, have too much procedure, and too much shuffling for a lay audience. My second criteria is whether I can use these tricks given the conditions in which I perform. Primarily this means things that I need to be able to perform them with minimal setup, standing at a table with very very little table space and without angle problems (some of his tricks are not great from the left).
My third criteria is whether I can devise an entertaining presentation that will work with my performing personality.  Fortunately, none of Marlo's tricks come with this built-in, so I can't be lazy when working with Marlo. 
I have enjoyed many Marlo effects over the years, probably starting with "No Glide Aces, Version 2" from the Cardician, and more recently working with Miracle Aces (for which I eventually found a better way to do this than the one I posted on this forum). Right now, I am working on Christine, Mental Reverse 3, and his Streamlined Dunbury effect.
Thanks guys, for the great lists. I will re-check these effects.
0
TheAmazingStanley

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 146
Reply with quote  #25 
Marlo has something for everyone, even total beginners. Anyone with a little showmanship can do The Wishing Card Trick. I have several that require some basic card handling down pretty well, like 52 to 1, Touched Retouched, or Jacks To Aces. My favorite is the 21 Card Trick in Obscure Marlo.
__________________
When you come to a fork in the road, take it!
0
trinimontes

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 307
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingStanley
Marlo has something for everyone, even total beginners. Anyone with a little showmanship can do The Wishing Card Trick. I have several that require some basic card handling down pretty well, like 52 to 1, Touched Retouched, or Jacks To Aces. My favorite is the 21 Card Trick in Obscure Marlo.




What is "Obscure Marlo"?


Trini
0
TheAmazingStanley

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 146
Reply with quote  #27 
It’s actually written by Paul Lelekis and is a short booklet of 6 tricks Marlo didn’t widely circulate.
__________________
When you come to a fork in the road, take it!
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,415
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinimontes




What is "Obscure Marlo"?


Trini


Here you go...

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.png, Views: 13, Size: 308.25 KB 

0
trinimontes

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 307
Reply with quote  #29 
Interesting


0
Tim Furneaux

Member
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #30 
Thanks, I really like this thread. I don't know why I love Marlo. Reading him is like trying to understand
instructions on how to write computer code. ( most of the time)This thread has inspired me to pull out Marlo in the Linking Ring, the Unexpected Card Book & the Card Magic of Edward Marlo, to scope out Mike Powers recs. I am grateful.
0
Rick Franceschini

Member
Registered:
Posts: 21
Reply with quote  #31 
The Cardician:

One Hand Control - because if performed with due build - up, spectators think you have ridiculous skill
Poker Prediction and a Principle - because with some thought, and some acting ability, you can almost inexplicably deal yourself four Aces
Botop Change - because it's easier and more flexible than a Top Change
Grab It - because with proper timing it can be a stunner
Repeater Selected Card to Pocket - because its structure and use of timing is brilliant.  I fooled a rocket scientist with it. 
Traveling Card - because a simple premise and some thought to presentation makes this a truly magical experience
Oil and Water - because it is a clear and deceptive method that legions have tried to equal and have not.  
Follow the Leader - because I've tried so many others (including Vernon's original) and have always had great reactions from it, particularly analytical types, they just accept it
Four Ace Vanishes - Four of quite a few of Marlo takes on the Collin's classic vanishing aces effect.  The second and fourth vanishes are particularly satisfying and strong
The Torn Card Trick - See Ascanio's excellent handling of Marlo's work on LePaul's work.

The Magic Seven (Sold as a booklet) - great trick, but what he is really giving us is a master class on how to handle an effect.  You may never perform it, but you will use the information for ever, also, greatest example of how to apply the Glide to an effect.

Marlo in Spades 

Barnhardt's Fan Steal - because it is super deceptive and exploits all the traits of a good action palm
Imperfection Force - because sometimes the obvious will fool the smartest folks
Marlo's Miracle Routine - because some of the amazing magicians above endorse it and seldom will something so easy get such a great reaction
Marlocato - Because everyone should have at least one strong location effect.  Equally good as Vernon's Emotional Reaction
Jerry Kogan's Indicator - because if you perform it a few times you will love it, also has a Glimpse every card man should know
Marlo's Triumph - because it is easier than it reads and will fool ANYBODY
Super Count Routine - because it contains bits you will want to apply to other pieces you do
Aces, Kings, Tens - because if it was good enough for the great Fred Kaps, it's good enough for me



0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,402
Reply with quote  #32 
Good calls Rick. Definitely check "the Traveling Card" it's in the Cardician as I recall.

M
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.