Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #1 
https://www.chambermagic.com/blog/mmm-malini/


I stumbled upon this article by Steve Cohen today.  Most of us have heard of Max Malini and of course he was a favorite of Dai Vernon and others.

Several interesting things in the piece, including the fact that Malini preferred to perform "impromptu", borrowing everyday objects to perform his miracles.  Apparently he didn't want to drag a bunch of stuff around!

The other thing was the fact that Malini apparently didn't have the best "chops", but relied on his presentational skills.  He was apparently a master showman, overshadowing his comparatively crude sleights.
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,545
Reply with quote  #2 
RayJ - have you seen the video of Ricky Jay doing the Malini block of ice trick in a cafe somewhere. The effect it had on the woman he showed it to was unbelievable. I think it's on the Deceptive Practice video.

M


0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Powers
RayJ - have you seen the video of Ricky Jay doing the Malini block of ice trick in a cafe somewhere. The effect it had on the woman he showed it to was unbelievable. I think it's on the Deceptive Practice video.

M




I'll bet it killed.  I don't remember seeing it, but I'll look for it now.  This is a clip from one of the producers and she says some incredibly important things about Ricky and the WAY he presented magic.

A lot of lessons packed in here from the mind of a layperson.

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #4 
I realize some might not bother to click on the video so I'll give just one of what I felt were some very insightful comments from the filmmaker.

At one point she comments about how Ricky Jay made her care about "somewhat obscure characters of magic, Slydini, Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller".  It's worth a watch.

Certainly Ricky Jay could never be accused of cheapening magic.  Quite the contrary.
0
Rick Franceschini

Member
Registered:
Posts: 35
Reply with quote  #5 
In Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique is an easy to miss paragraph at the end of the technical description for Glimpsing after a Peek.  It describes how Max Malini would assert, as the spectator Peeked at a card, to "Dink of a cod, one leetle cod!"  Once the selection was made he would say in his gravely voice, "You vont forget dat Den of Glubs vill you?"  He would then bulge his eyes and raise his eyebrows "into soaring question marks."  The authors tell us that this was always met with shock, awe, etc.  I'm adding a photo of Malini to help you imagine what that may have 3217_526_511-max-malini.jpg  looked like and how it must have played.  
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #6 
Check this out.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9460

And these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=j8_6tgNRYjY



https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_reviews/magic_shows/review_show_paul_daniels_aug03.htm

0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #7 
I think Ricky Jay did cheapen Magic. Not in his performance nor in his deep interest in Magic, well certain aspects of Magic at least.

His abject disdain and general loathing for the fraternity in general ensured he spent his lifetime with tunnel vision. He considered himself above the common herd and very few people passed scrutiny. Who knows how many of the common herd might have something marginally interesting to say on the subject of Magic. He couldn't be bothered to find out. Too busy sneering.

His attitude was shared by his elitist inner circle, one of whom was Persi Diaconis.

Following publication of the Vernon non-book "Revelations" in 1984, Diaconis is reputed to have said that he hated seeing the animals using tools. Whether he did or not, remains unclear from where I'm sitting. It’s a comment that has passed into urban legend and the land of the apocryphal; the fact that it sounds like something he, or Jay, might have said is why it seems entirely believable.

Incidentally I did watch the interview. Very interesting and typical of "filmakers" in general. Busy people. That said, she did have nice things to say about Magic, which is pleasing.



Back later when the dust settles.  [smile] [wink]
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I think Ricky Jay did cheapen Magic. Not in his performance nor in his deep interest in Magic, well certain aspects of Magic at least.

His abject disdain and general loathing for the fraternity in general ensured he spent his lifetime with tunnel vision. He considered himself above the common herd and very few people passed scrutiny. Who knows how many of the common herd might have something marginally interesting to say on the subject of Magic. He couldn't be bothered to find out. Too busy sneering.

His attitude was shared by his elitist inner circle, one of whom was Persi Diaconis.

Following publication of the Vernon non-book "Revelations" in 1984, Diaconis is reputed to have said that he hated seeing the animals using tools. Whether he did or not, remains unclear from where I'm sitting. It’s a comment that has passed into urban legend and the land of the apocryphal; the fact that it sounds like something he, or Jay, might have said is why it seems entirely believable.

Incidentally I did watch the interview. Very interesting and typical of "filmakers" in general. Busy people. That said, she did have nice things to say about Magic, which is pleasing.



Back later when the dust settles.  [smile] [wink]


Alan, I've read all of that about Ricky.  Yes, he marched to his own beat.  But I don't think he cheapened magic if the example you give is the proof.  There have been a lot of folks in magic that were very idiosyncratic.  Ricky andd Persi had a lot of company.  Then there are those that "re-invent" and publish without credit, those that outright steal, etc.

I often see people paying tons of money for Frank Garcia books and of course if you read some people's thoughts on him, you don't come away with "warm and fuzzies".  

For every hero there are feet of clay.  Nobody is perfect.

Ricky Jay might have dissed some in the community but when it came to the public, he did nothing but positives in my opinion.  And to me, that's more important.
0
JWSM

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 45
Reply with quote  #9 
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1993/04/05/secrets-of-the-magus
0
Socrates

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 958
Reply with quote  #10 
Hustling magic gigs with borrowed items in everyday settings. There was a time when that was my standard operating procedure,...nowadays I am spending more time researching and working with other magicians.
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
Hustling magic gigs with borrowed items in everyday settings. There was a time when that was my standard operating procedure,...nowadays I am spending more time researching and working with other magicians.


Are you ready to join a Magic society yet? [smile]
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
What is a magic society?


That's a question I have pondered for many years. I don't have an answer.
0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,545
Reply with quote  #13 
Here's a short NPR interview with Ricky Jay: LINK

M
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Powers
Here's a short NPR interview with Ricky Jay: LINK

M


Thanks Mike, that was a fun listen.  Ricky's passion for whatever he is talking about is contagious.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.