Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
dschmunis

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

I've been reading, studying, practicing magic for about 6 years (on/off) and consider myself a "closet magician" (i.e.: haven't built up the confidence and nerves to come out yet and do things in public - which I really really want to - but got to get over my nerves and fears of being less than perfect first).

Mostly interested in close-up magic (coins, cards, sponge balls, etc.).

Favorite magicians (kinda ol' school): Doc Eason, Daryl, Greg Wilson, David Williamson, Tommy Wonder, etc.)

Would love to connect with fellow magicians in the Portland area!!!

Best,
D
0
Dave Campbell

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 407
Reply with quote  #2 
Hey D...

I can't personally help you out with the Portland area thing, but I'd say you've definitely found the correct online forum to frequent … tons of great helpful, smart folks here.

Welcome aboard!

__________________

-=Dave=-
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 253
Reply with quote  #3 
Welcome! You will find yourself most welcome here. Ask questions and answer questions and join the club of those of us trying to trick ourselves and one another into performing better and more often. Closet magiciandom is not an uncommon ailment.

We have a few people in the Portland area, including our fearless leader.

That's a surprising (but great) list of influences for someone who got started within the past 6 years. If you don't mind my asking, how did you find your way to that generation of performers?
0
Mbreggar

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 437
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi D, and welcome aboard! You’ve come to a great magic forum managed and populated by some great and knowledgeable people!

You will enjoy your time here!!


0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,287
Reply with quote  #5 
Welcome! Interesting you call that list old school because my old school is much older! In any event it is a great list.

There is a range of experience here and you should feel right at home. There are no stupid questions. Fire away!

Regarding nerves, relax, we all have them. Learn some fairly easy, limited sleight tricks and work on a presentation. There are a lot of great magicians that perform fairly basic effects but they wrap them in compelling presentations. Once you can get through three or four tricks without getting overly anxious you can begin to up the difficulty a bit.

0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,435
Reply with quote  #6 
Welcome, D! 

Av
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 893
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi D,

You’ve definitely come to the right place. Good choices for your favourite performers.
0
dschmunis

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you all for the wonderful and warm welcome!

Chris W, my first magic lecture was to see Doc Eason! I was immediately hooked by his style of magic, presentation and humor. From there, performers like Wilson and Williamson seem to fit the bill pretty closely.

Also, a lot of my taste was helped in development by Joe Pon (owner of Misdirections Magic Shop in San Francisco) who was always very patient anytime I'd "drop by" for a few hours looking for new books on theory and misdirection.

Harry Lorayne, of course I've heard of the legend. I have 3 of your books (The Magic Book, Close-up Card Magic and The Himber Wallet Book - love this one!). Also, in my MUST LEARN/PERFORM set/list is the Ten Card Poker Deal!!! 😉
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 253
Reply with quote  #9 
Ah, Joe Pon at Misdirections. Something in your list suggested good mentorship and guidance along the way, so that makes sense. Doc Eason is a great first lecture. Was that at Misdirections? Pretty sure my first lecture was Daryl in San Jose back in the day.
0
Jim Straight

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #10 
Portland Society of Magicians meets second Saturday of the month. Great group of people. SAM 59 meets on a Wednesday. Both are dark for the summer. Portlandsocietyofmagicians.com
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Organization/SAM59portland/posts/
0
dschmunis

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Chris,

Yes it was through Misdirections at some hotel in downtown San Francisco. He did about 2.5 hours and by the end I was LMAOROTF. Of course I immediately went to see Joe and bought his 3 Magic Bar DVDs!

I usually have the setup for All Screwed Up right in my pocket... now just need to get rid of the nerves and start doing it! :)
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,401
Reply with quote  #12 
Welcome to the forum!!

I have some time today to meet up with you if you’re available.

I look forward to to meeting you!

Rudy

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
dschmunis

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #13 
Hi Rudy,

I’d LOVE to meet you! Unfortunately, I’m booked solid this week doing “daddy camp”! :) And I have a train of friends and family coming to visit us starting this Thursday (did I mention that we just arrived to Hillsboro 4 weeks ago? [wink] ) until 8/17. Can we pencil in something for the week of 8/19?

Looking forward to meeting you.

Best,
D
p.s.: by any chance are you going to the magic show tonight at Night of Curiosities?
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,401
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschmunis
Hi Rudy,

I’d LOVE to meet you! Unfortunately, I’m booked solid this week doing “daddy camp”! :) And I have a train of friends and family coming to visit us starting this Thursday (did I mention that we just arrived to Hillsboro 4 weeks ago? [wink] ) until 8/17. Can we pencil in something for the week of 8/19?

Looking forward to meeting you.

Best,
D
p.s.: by any chance are you going to the magic show tonight at Night of Curiosities?


Yes, let’s schedule something for that week. Unfortunately, I won’t be attending the Night of Curiosities this evening. It sold out :).

The great thing is that I will be performing in the August 20th show!

See you soon,

Rudy

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,287
Reply with quote  #15 
Nice that the show is a sell-out!
0
dschmunis

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Tinoco


Yes, let’s schedule something for that week. Unfortunately, I won’t be attending the Night of Curiosities this evening. It sold out 😉.

The great thing is that I will be performing in the August 20th show!

See you soon,

Rudy


Rudy, can you please email me your contact info @ diego@blog364.com and I'll follow up with you after 8/17?
0
Wayne T

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 350
Reply with quote  #17 
Welcome dschmunis, you will find lot's of advice and encouragement about "coming out" to perform and if you are inclined we have a section here to post something you are working on to get feed back or just plain show off. 😉

I think you will find there are several magi's on this forum in your area.

Wayne

__________________
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
0
Nate Smith

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 69
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschmunis
Hi Rudy,

I’d LOVE to meet you! Unfortunately, I’m booked solid this week doing “daddy camp”! :) And I have a train of friends and family coming to visit us starting this Thursday (did I mention that we just arrived to Hillsboro 4 weeks ago? [wink] ) until 8/17. Can we pencil in something for the week of 8/19?

Looking forward to meeting you.

Best,
D
p.s.: by any chance are you going to the magic show tonight at Night of Curiosities?


I was at A Night of Curiosities last night, but I couldn’t get a seat so I had to stand onstage in front of everyone and host the show. [wink]

Welcome to TMF! I’m the creator/host of A Night of Curiosities. I’ve only been studying magic for a little over a year, and like you I’m not yet confident enough to perform. But I love magic so much I created a monthly show so Portland can see all the amazing magicians we have. I’m excited to see Rudy in the show next month.

I hope to see you around some time!
0
Nate Smith

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 69
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Smith


I was at A Night of Curiosities last night, but I couldn’t get a seat so I had to stand onstage in front of everyone and host the show. [wink]

Welcome to TMF! I’m the creator/host of A Night of Curiosities. I’ve only been studying magic for a little over a year, and like you I’m not yet confident enough to perform. But I love magic so much I created a monthly show so Portland can see all the amazing magicians we have. I’m excited to see Rudy in the show next month.

I hope to see you around some time!


Oh wait! Diego it’s you! I just noticed your email address you shared above. Good to see you here!
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,287
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Smith


Oh wait! Diego it’s you! I just noticed your email address you shared above. Good to see you here!


Nate, there is a new member, Roland that listed cities that feature regular magic shows.  He shares that list in a number of places and I'm sure that your event should be added to his list.  Thought you should know.
0
Nate Smith

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 69
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


Nate, there is a new member, Roland that listed cities that feature regular magic shows.  He shares that list in a number of places and I'm sure that your event should be added to his list.  Thought you should know.


Thanks!
0
dschmunis

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #22 
Nate, I was wondering how long it would take you to figure out it was me.... :)

Great show last night. Already getting antsy about the August show! Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

D
0
Nate Smith

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 69
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschmunis
Nate, I was wondering how long it would take you to figure out it was me.... :)

Great show last night. Already getting antsy about the August show! Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

D


Thanks! The best thing you can do to help at this point is to keep bringing your family and to help spread the word about our show!
0
Lucas Maillard

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 62
Reply with quote  #24 
Hey D,

Welcome to TMF. I hope you'll enjoy this place as much as I do.

Cheers,

Lucas.
0
dschmunis

Member
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #25 
Thx Lucas! Happy to be here!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.