Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi folks. Just thought some of you might be interested in watching me work LIVE. This 25-minute segment is from my 90-minute light-hearted card act. Magic from my books. Filmed in a small club last month. Please see:


__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #2 
Watching a seasoned pro work is always a treat!  Paul, thanks for sharing that.  A couple of things struck me as I watched it.  First, you seemed to be among friends and whether you were or not, it seemed that way and I think there is a lesson there for all of us.  Second, I noticed that your "volunteers" changed during the performance.  How and why do you do that?  Do you "switch them out" to give them a break, or what?

I noticed in particular the bald headed fellow was blown away by many effects and was a great ambassador because he would look out at the crowd and display his utter amazement.  Love it when you get that and not a stodgy spectator that barely smiles.

I also noticed magic posters on the wall behind you.  I assume this place has regular shows?  Did the crowd come especially for the magic?

Again, thanks for sharing.  Your performance skills made for a memorable evening for all concerned.
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,793
Reply with quote  #3 
Good stuff, Paul!! Everyone looked to be having a great time!

Rudy

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
Watching a seasoned pro work is always a treat!  Paul, thanks for sharing that.  A couple of things struck me as I watched it.  First, you seemed to be among friends and whether you were or not, it seemed that way and I think there is a lesson there for all of us.  Second, I noticed that your "volunteers" changed during the performance.  How and why do you do that?  Do you "switch them out" to give them a break, or what?

I noticed in particular the bald headed fellow was blown away by many effects and was a great ambassador because he would look out at the crowd and display his utter amazement.  Love it when you get that and not a stodgy spectator that barely smiles.

I also noticed magic posters on the wall behind you.  I assume this place has regular shows?  Did the crowd come especially for the magic?

Again, thanks for sharing.  Your performance skills made for a memorable evening for all concerned.


Thanks for the VERY kind words! MUCH appreciated. As it's a 25 min segment of a 90-min act, it's bits from both halves of the show. I ALWAYS make friends of my audience and perform for them not at them! Yes, it's a small magic venue for the public. It holds 25 customers. 

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Mbreggar

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 765
Reply with quote  #5 
You gotta love the reactions. Paul, your style is so personable, the spectators are relaxed and ready to have some fun from the start.
Good stuff!

-michael
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbreggar
You gotta love the reactions. Paul, your style is so personable, the spectators are relaxed and ready to have some fun from the start.
Good stuff!

-michael


It's kind of the premise behind experiencing magic WITH them versus performing magic AT them.  Paul shows how to do that.
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbreggar
You gotta love the reactions. Paul, your style is so personable, the spectators are relaxed and ready to have some fun from the start.
Good stuff!

-michael


Many thanks Michael. VERY kind of you to notice and say so. x PG

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


It's kind of the premise behind experiencing magic WITH them versus performing magic AT them.  Paul shows how to do that.


Hi Ray. For TOO MANY card guys I know show off and/or don't interact and have fun. They perform AT people in a "aren't I great" fashion.

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Mbreggar

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 765
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
They perform AT people in a "aren't I great" fashion. 


... and most of them can't sing either!
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,001
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gordon


Hi Ray. For TOO MANY card guys I know show off and/or don't interact and have fun. They perform AT people in a "aren't I great" fashion.


Yes, and when they present that attitude folks are less likely to take being fooled gracefully.
I will always remember that guy in your video and the perplexed look on his face.  He was fooled, flabbergasted, befuddled and loved every minute of it!
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbreggar


... and most of them can't sing either!



__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


Yes, and when they present that attitude folks are less likely to take being fooled gracefully.
I will always remember that guy in your video and the perplexed look on his face.  He was fooled, flabbergasted, befuddled and loved every minute of it!


He was great. He started off a tad reticent, but in the end his face was a picture!

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #13 
HERE'S A DIFFERENT 25-minute clip of me on the Jeff McBride Stage last year.


__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
BlackMoon

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #14 
I love performing in intimate settings, especially among friends. You are my idol. You just flow and move along like a wave on the ocean.
__________________
“It’s always something.”
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMoon
I love performing in intimate settings, especially among friends. You are my idol. You just flow and move along like a wave on the ocean.


Ah, bless you. How kind ♥

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
domihari

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #16 
Great Paul, thanks for sharing, I love your performances and your magic !
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by domihari
Great Paul, thanks for sharing, I love your performances and your magic !


Thank you very much ♥

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Mbreggar

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 765
Reply with quote  #18 
Paul, I tried signing once. The Mayor awarded me the Off-Key to the City.

0
Dave Campbell

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 735
Reply with quote  #19 
I've said before that I really like watching Paul's live performances -- just great spectator management and interaction -- it's like watching a how-to lecture!
__________________

-=Dave=-
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
I've said before that I really like watching Paul's live performances -- just great spectator management and interaction -- it's like watching a how-to lecture!


VERY kind of you to say. Muchly appreciate your thoughts and words. 

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Sibex

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 199
Reply with quote  #21 
I'm not sure what amazes me most (the magic itself, aside), how you remember so many routines, how it all looks so relaxed and effortless, or the confidence it takes to sit in front of an audience with nothing more than a table and a deck or cards. I mean, this is proper, stripped back magical entertainment with nowhere to hide.
I have to say too, that I've been lucky enough to meet Paul at Blackpool and he is THE nicest guy you could wish to meet.
0
Paul Gordon

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 276
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibex
I'm not sure what amazes me most (the magic itself, aside), how you remember so many routines, how it all looks so relaxed and effortless, or the confidence it takes to sit in front of an audience with nothing more than a table and a deck or cards. I mean, this is proper, stripped back magical entertainment with nowhere to hide.
I have to say too, that I've been lucky enough to meet Paul at Blackpool and he is THE nicest guy you could wish to meet.


Firstly, thanks so much for your kind words. I'd like to ask your real name, but I guess I shouldn't. Blackpool will be with us again soon...ish!

I suffer from anxiety so performing is not really an easy thing for me but I act confident...and soon become it. I really work hard at rehearsing my magic and I genuinely like people and having fun with them.

I'm in my late 50s now and have been performing for over 40 years. And, I still love making people laugh and smile. We all need smiles and laughs.

Again, thank you for your kind words ♥ ♥ ♥

__________________
https://www.paulgordon.net
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.