Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,839
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson


Those were interesting, and I did enjoy them. Wasn't aware another was anticipated. Cool.

There's an American television series that ran some seven seasons called Elementary that does a fantastic job with the characters. I realize that some, like Ray apparently, prefer Cumberbatch's portrayal of Holmes, but another British actor, Johnny Lee Miller, really nails it in Elementary. As an added bonus, the writers frequently refer to canonical trivia, which is a real hoot for those of us who are geeky enough to know it.

Av 


I will have to check out Elementary.  I'd heard of it, but never watched.  I don't "prefer" BCs portrayal of Sherlock but I found it very interesting and I think pretty much anything the BBC puts out is pretty special.
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,742
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


I will have to check out Elementary.  I'd heard of it, but never watched.  I don't "prefer" BCs portrayal of Sherlock but I found it very interesting and I think pretty much anything the BBC puts out is pretty special.


Ah, pardon the assumption. If you are a fan of Holmes, I think you'll dig Elementary. Give it a couple of episodes. The characters develop as the writers become more comfortable with them. 

Av
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,839
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson


Ah, pardon the assumption. If you are a fan of Holmes, I think you'll dig Elementary. Give it a couple of episodes. The characters develop as the writers become more comfortable with them. 

Av


No pardon necessary.  I knew nothing about him as an actor until I saw his first BBC episodes but my youngest daughter knew of him and adores him.  He seems to do a great job in whatever he does, even American accents.  I'll check out Elementary with the Mrs. and see how we like it.

Thanks!
0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,422
Reply with quote  #54 
Basil Rathbone will always be the voice of Holmes for me ... but he had to slog through such abysmal scripts!   My favourite TV adaptation of the original stories is the incredible BBC series starring Jeremy Brett.  I have watched them over and over - just brilliant.
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,742
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Dawes
Basil Rathbone will always be the voice of Holmes for me ... but he had to slog through such abysmal scripts!   My favourite TV adaptation of the original stories is the incredible BBC series starring Jeremy Brett.  I have watched them over and over - just brilliant.


Growing up, I loved Basil Rathbone. He was Holmes, and probably still is. Later in life I realized, as you noted, the writing was godawful. I will look up the Jeremy Brett series, not one I was familiar with. Have you seen either the Cumberbatch (not too shabby) or Miller (my favorite) series?  

Av 
0
Gareth

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 937
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson


Growing up, I loved Basil Rathbone. He was Holmes, and probably still is. Later in life I realized, as you noted, the writing was godawful. I will look up the Jeremy Brett series, not one I was familiar with. Have you seen either the Cumberbatch (not too shabby) or Miller (my favorite) series?  

Av 


Jeremy Brett the quintessential Holmes for me. Remember watching them in the ? Late 80s early 90’s? Back in the UK. The best mix of all I think. Just the right amount of sinister.

0
Mike Powers

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,975
Reply with quote  #57 
I'm with Gareth on Jeremy Brett. I had grown up with Basil R as THE Holmes. But after one episode with Jeremy Brett, it was Basil who?? Brett just nails it. The old series with BR seems campy to me now. Cumberbatch is great too as the modern Holmes. He's a close second to Jeremy Brett for me. 

M
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,742
Reply with quote  #58 
Found several episodes of the Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett and watched one last night. Impressive! Apparently all episodes strictly adhere to the cannon. Cool. Thanks for turning me onto a new Holmes!

I still recommend Johnny Lee Miller in Elementary - it's different, but excellent in its own right.

Av
0
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 160
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson


Those were interesting, and I did enjoy them. Wasn't aware another was anticipated. Cool.

There's an American television series that ran some seven seasons called Elementary that does a fantastic job with the characters. I realize that some, like Ray apparently, prefer Cumberbatch's portrayal of Holmes, but another British actor, Johnny Lee Miller, really nails it in Elementary. As an added bonus, the writers frequently refer to canonical trivia, which is a real hoot for those of us who are geeky enough to know it.

Av 
I enjoyed Elementary, although for me, Millers' version was, of all the Holmes', the least comfortable character to get into. I wonder if he plays the addictive aspect too well?? It took a while to accept Lucy Liu as Watson, but ended thinking she was brilliant. I find myself going back between the various versions and 'grounding' myself by reading from my well-worn Arthur Conan Doyle. And I do like Benedict. That look on his face when someone says,"Oh is that how you did it? I thought it was something clever!!". Perhaps that's really why magicians never tell their secrets!
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,839
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cowne
I enjoyed Elementary, although for me, Millers' version was, of all the Holmes', the least comfortable character to get into. I wonder if he plays the addictive aspect too well?? It took a while to accept Lucy Liu as Watson, but ended thinking she was brilliant. I find myself going back between the various versions and 'grounding' myself by reading from my well-worn Arthur Conan Doyle. And I do like Benedict. That look on his face when someone says,"Oh is that how you did it? I thought it was something clever!!". Perhaps that's really why magicians never tell their secrets!


Lol, I agree about the facial expressions!
0
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 160
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Dawes
Here's a Wired article discussing some of the research topics raised in AV's original post, with comments by Dr. Kuhn and some of his colleagues

  https://www.wired.co.uk/article/magic-neuroscience
This was a fascinating article, Robin. In Australia, there’s been a recent crackdown on hand-held mobiles (cell phones) while driving. So this article suggests (I may be guilty of over-simplifying this - there are so many thoughts to digest) that it’s not just the eyes off the road, but - even more significantly - the mind off the road is where the danger lies. And taking the principle to magic, ‘just’ patter (with similarities to talk-back radio in the car?) contributes to misdirection even more than physical cues. Teller, somewhere, declares (I’m paraphrasing) that magic was centuries/millenia ahead of neuroscience, in grasping the human psyche. Do you think such mind sciences have caught up with, and are offering truly new ‘principles’ of magic? What would be some examples?
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.