Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
J. R. Wolfe

Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #1 
I filmed this while playing around.

I call it SMOOCH.


__________________
"To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!"
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,006
Reply with quote  #2 
A lot of people don't like Bro. John Hamman's Flushtration Count, but your video shows that it can be massaged into a deceptive-looking action.  

I think the "visual change" needs to have an added motion, perhaps waving the hand back-and-forth just a little, like a jiggle.  I think it will help cover the flipping action.

Now your challenge is to routine it and provide patter and presentation so that it all makes sense to the spectator.

Keep it up!
0
Ferry Gerats

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #3 
Compliments for your variation of the Flushtration Count! Very useful.
__________________
0
J. R. Wolfe

Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
A lot of people don't like Bro. John Hamman's Flushtration Count, but your video shows that it can be massaged into a deceptive-looking action.  

I think the "visual change" needs to have an added motion, perhaps waving the hand back-and-forth just a little, like a jiggle.  I think it will help cover the flipping action.

Now your challenge is to routine it and provide patter and presentation so that it all makes sense to the spectator.

Keep it up!


The count I am using in the video is Boris Wild's "Kiss Count", it's fantastic... but I really like Bro. John's count too, especially with a little touch that I saw Cameron Francis add to it which makes it a little more deceptive.

And you're 100% right about the added motion. Typically when I do it I turn my wrist to the right which covers it a bit via our friend " the bigger action covers the smaller action" principle. I don't know why I didn't do that in the footage, but here it is:



It makes it a bit less obvious.

That's some challenge! I used it in the video as a colour change, but as you can see in the other video it makes for a cool card reveal. That is really the only practical application I can think to use it for, however, there is one more idea that I have thought of and that is using it as a card switch but it involves a duplicate or a very unattentive spectator. LOL

It's something to work on.

__________________
"To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!"
0
J. R. Wolfe

Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferry Gerats
Compliments for your variation of the Flushtration Count! Very useful.


I wish it were mine! It's actually Boris Wild's "Kiss Count". It's a gem!

__________________
"To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!"
0
J. R. Wolfe

Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #6 
Also, another thing I noticed while playing around with this move for several years now is that it is more deceptive when the card that is to be changed is covered in the third position. In other words, it has the two face-down cards on top of it:



It's not as visual so I don't do it much, but it is more difficult to see what's going on.

__________________
"To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!"
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,006
Reply with quote  #7 
A possible presentation plot would be to have the two blue cards play the role of "detectives" and they find the red card, via a sandwich effect.  However, in a plot-twist, the found card actually causes the detectives to change.  So perhaps they become "double-agents".
0
J. R. Wolfe

Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
A possible presentation plot would be to have the two blue cards play the role of "detectives" and they find the red card, via a sandwich effect.  However, in a plot-twist, the found card actually causes the detectives to change.  So perhaps they become "double-agents".


Hey, I like that!


__________________
"To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!"
0
StevePR104

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 302
Reply with quote  #9 
JC Wagner had a variant on the Flushtration Count that makes incredible sense.  If you show the cards in the same position each time, it makes it far too easy to reverse engineer.  JC would peel off a card and show the packet in a different position each time playing to his audience at various points.  The different vantage points make it virtually impossible to catch the move.
0
J. R. Wolfe

Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePR104
JC Wagner had a variant on the Flushtration Count that makes incredible sense.  If you show the cards in the same position each time, it makes it far too easy to reverse engineer.  JC would peel off a card and show the packet in a different position each time playing to his audience at various points.  The different vantage points make it virtually impossible to catch the move.


Hi, Steve.

I don't know if you saw above were I mentioned that Cameron Francis had a touch on the Flushtration Count but that was exactly what he was talking about doing. This was back in 2012 when he taught it during a lecture and considering that Mr. Wagner doing magic 20 years before Cameron was even born, it's a good chance he learned it from him.

Edit: clarification 

__________________
"To Serve Man, it's... it's a cookbook!"
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.