Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,345
Reply with quote  #1 
Title grab your attention? [biggrin]

It’s been slow around here. This despite valiant efforts by Ray and Al to post interesting topics, and keep the conversational ball rolling. Now Al’s gone for a while, probably a year.

I get it. Life happens. Work, school, hobbies, and who know what else takes up inordinate amounts of time and energy. We all get it.

That said, let’s take a few moments to talk about what we want to talk about here on The Magicians Forum. Are the topics and threads of interest? If not, what topics and subjects would be?

If you don’t see something interesting, then please start a new topic. Better yet, resurrect an old topic on the subject that interests you. The forum’s search function is easy to use and quite helpful.

Lulls happen. Let’s just make sure that’s all this is. This is a great community. Small, but growing. Tightknit, but welcoming. Friendly and supportive. It’s the only forum on which I regularly post. I do visit the Genii Forums, but they’re far less friendly to anyone not in their established circle, at least in my experience.  

Thoughts?

 

Av

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,139
Reply with quote  #2 
AV, what I envision a "healthy" forum looking like is a friendly conversation.  Someone begins a topic and then others chime in with their input.  That input might be experiences they've had or might be different ways of looking at the subject based upon their perspective.  In the process, the initial post can sometimes morph into something totally unanticipated but undoubtedly interesting.

It does seem like a very few respond regularly.  I see that some topics have a bunch of views, yet few take the time to chime in.  I'm sure there are some that are quite content to just sit back and watch.  I wish they would get more involved because their voice is as important as any.  

If some are reluctant to start threads I wonder why?  I think the vibe of this community is positive.  Like any family there are occasional tiffs, but they aren't allowed to fester.  We agree to disagree or whatever and move on.

This might just be a lull, but I do like your suggestion about reviving old threads.  Sometimes there is a lot more to be said about a topic.  Especially for the newer members of the forum that didn't have the opportunity to give their input back when the thread was fresh.  So I never regret people pulling up old topics.

I'm active on two other magic forums, mostly lurk on another (not very frequently) and a couple of non-magic forums.

This forum is by far the most respectful, collegial and welcoming.

Thanks for your efforts and those of all of the moderators!
0
Intensely Magic

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 464
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
.......

If some are reluctant to start threads I wonder why?  I think the vibe of this community is positive.  Like any family there are occasional tiffs, but they aren't allowed to fester.  We agree to disagree or whatever and move on....



OK, here goes. I hope this is just a summer lull, but I think it may well be more. I can tell you, for a fact, that taking the time to craft a few responses or topic starters and drawing crickets is frustrating. If you look at many of the topics that draw large responses, they are generally meaningless "congratulations" type posts.

While we don't have the substantial number of industrial grade dicks like they have on Genii, e.g.Brad Henderson, Peter Ross, Tom Frame, etc. we do have several topic killers that over and over have managed to stop decent topics right in their tricks by rude and sometimes, pure mean, postings. It's always the same small group it seems.

There are a lot of very nice people on here, but nice people tend to fade away after a slap or two. It just ain't worth the frustration.

I haven't got any answers, just a little perspective.

__________________
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. Arthur Conan Doyle

0
Dave Campbell

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 345
Reply with quote  #4 
I've been in kind of a lull my own darn self -- so haven't been very active... plus there's that 4-letter word: WORK -- and life in general.

I need to give myself a swift kick in the patoot and start working on something so that I can get in a bind and have to ask questions 😉

I've got no lack of resources, just time gets in the way 😉

I did pick up another box of bicycles at Costco the other day, so I can probably relegate this raggedy deck I'm using to the box marked "folding practice".

__________________

-=Dave=-
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,345
Reply with quote  #5 
IM, can you PM me with a couple of examples? We do our best to nip potential problems in the bud, but things do slip through when no mod is online. An example or two, privately sent, would help. I can share your examples with the other mods.

Thanks for the feedback!

Av
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,139
Reply with quote  #6 
Any time people are involved there are the attendant problems with ego, jealousy, elitism, etc.  The trick is to learn to "Reign it in" and let it be.  As I said above, sometimes we have to agree to disagree.  One of the things that gets lost on forums is context sometimes.  This might be because you cannot hear or see the person you are communicating with.  Sometimes a comment meant to be in jest is taken seriously and the receiver is hurt by it.  When that happens, the situation should be worked out and I'm sure when the original intent is communicated, then the hurt will go away.

Conversation can be salty without stinging.  Bland pablum posts without some energy and emotion don't foster a lot of interest or debate.  I mean debate in the most positive context.  Iron sharpens iron and we learn by getting feedback from our peers.  If someone has a strong opinion, so long as they present it respectfully, there should be no problem.  If someone disagrees, it doesn't mean they are challenging your manhood or calling you ignorant.  They simply see things differently.  Since they ARE different, would you expect anything less?

The last thing anyone should want is an echo chamber.  Even a provocateur has a function because they force you to defend your position and in the process you probably strengthen your resolve.  Or perhaps you change your mind?  In either case it was positive.


0
Intensely Magic

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 464
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
Any time people are involved there are the attendant problems with ego, jealousy, elitism, etc.  The trick is to learn to "Reign it in" and let it be.  As I said above, sometimes we have to agree to disagree.  One of the things that gets lost on forums is context sometimes.  This might be because you cannot hear or see the person you are communicating with.  Sometimes a comment meant to be in jest is taken seriously and the receiver is hurt by it.  When that happens, the situation should be worked out and I'm sure when the original intent is communicated, then the hurt will go away.

Conversation can be salty without stinging.  Bland pablum posts without some energy and emotion don't foster a lot of interest or debate.  I mean debate in the most positive context.  Iron sharpens iron and we learn by getting feedback from our peers.  If someone has a strong opinion, so long as they present it respectfully, there should be no problem.  If someone disagrees, it doesn't mean they are challenging your manhood or calling you ignorant.  They simply see things differently.  Since they ARE different, would you expect anything less?

The last thing anyone should want is an echo chamber.  Even a provocateur has a function because they force you to defend your position and in the process you probably strengthen your resolve.  Or perhaps you change your mind?  In either case it was positive.




But - there is a time to walk away. I believe I've seen you do so and I was in total agreement.


__________________
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. Arthur Conan Doyle

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,139
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intensely Magic


But - there is a time to walk away. I believe I've seen you do so and I was in total agreement.



Thanks!  I'm taking that as a positive comment.  I'm sure it was because I've known you by your positive posts.
0
Intensely Magic

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 464
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


Thanks!  I'm taking that as a positive comment.  I'm sure it was because I've known you by your positive posts.


It was!

__________________
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. Arthur Conan Doyle

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,139
Reply with quote  #10 
[biggrin]
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 207
Reply with quote  #11 
When I think of it, the Genii Forum is also pretty slow and would be much slower if not for 'current event' type posts and, err, especially opinionated folks of the sort that Intensely Magic mentions (although I don't agree with his characterization of specific individuals named). The Magic Cafe is not very slow, but that's because people seem to spray every bit of nonsense that passes through their heads straight onto it. For me, I like that this site has a manageable amount of quality activity. It's possible to keep track of everything that's going on, and worth it to do so.

Personally, in terms of what would make me contribute more, I guess I'd say that I value succinctness. When a post is so long-winded or convoluted that it seems like a chore to both read it and craft a reply that adequately addresses its substance, I'm likely to think "I'll get back to that later, when I have time" and then not get back to it.

Logan Five/Mind Phantom used to post lots of good topic-starters with a low barrier to entry as far as coming up with a response. Perhaps I'll go back and revive some of those threads.
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member - Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 2,345
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris w
Logan Five/Mind Phantom used to post lots of good topic-starters with a low barrier to entry as far as coming up with a response. Perhaps I'll go back and revive some of those threads.


Great points, Chris. And I agree, Rick, aka Mind Phantom/Logan Five, had a knack for starting thought-provoking topics. Good idea to bring some of those back for newer members.

Succinct enough for ya! [wink]
 
Av 
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 207
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vinson


Succinct enough for ya! [wink]


Yes, thank you. I was able to read your post in just one sitting. [thumb]
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.