Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 312
Reply with quote  #1 
For me, the most concrete one is that I want to read all of The Jinx at a somewhat leisurely pace that allows me to actually absorb its contents.

I don't want to rush through just for the thrill of it, which is a behavior I'm prone to. (Knowing new things is exciting!) So I'm thinking of reading no more than an issue per day. If I stick to that schedule, it will be at least five months of daily visits with Annemann, which I'm sure will do me some good. Then it will be on to The Phoenix, which I'm committed to starting after The Jinx on a similar schedule... with little hope of finishing in 2020.

I must admit I got a little jump on this project by starting with The Jinx a couple days ago. If it's something I know I want to do, why not start now? There's no magic in January 1.

What are your magic goals for 2020?
0
zarrow52

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 112
Reply with quote  #2 
My friend and I have been talking and planning, for quite a while now,  to put together a small mentalism parlour show.

Maybe 2020 will be the year when we actually do it!

Sean
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,448
Reply with quote  #3 
My goal for 2020 is to not make any new magic purchases. Just like many magicians, I can kinda get caught up in wanting to find the next best thing, while my book shelf is full of great magic just waiting to be discovered.

Working through the Apocalypse volumes alone is more than enough to keep me busy for quite a few years. I just purchased John Carey's, "Reflections" and Antony Gerard's book and DVD with his work on the classic force. That's it for 2019. 

Great topic chris w!

Rudy

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
MagikDon

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 114
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Tinoco
My goal for 2020 is to not make any new magic purchases. 

Rudy


Me, on the other hand, is to work my way through all the new books I bought this weekend. I am a sucker for sales  [frown]



__________________
Don

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind" (Paul Harris)
 
0
Rudy Tinoco

Avatar / Picture

Founding Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,448
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagikDon


Me, on the other hand, is to work my way through all the new books I bought this weekend. I am a sucker for sales  [frown]



haha!!

__________________
www.youtube.com/themagiciansforum
http://www.facebook.com/themagiciansforum
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 312
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Tinoco
My goal for 2020 is to not make any new magic purchases. Just like many magicians, I can kinda get caught up in wanting to find the next best thing, while my book shelf is full of great magic just waiting to be discovered.


This is also a bit of the thinking behind my goal. I hope attempting to engage more seriously with information I've stockpiled will make it clear that there's already too much, and I needn't think of buying or coveting much else.
0
SamtheNotsoMagnificent

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 110
Reply with quote  #7 
I am building a card routine made of at least six tricks. Three I know, but want to polish and three I am learning. I've also started learning cups and balls, so I hope to have a solid cups and ball routine by spring. After I have the cups and balls down, I am going to start on rope tricks. I have two coin tricks and I am hoping to add a third by spring. By the end of the year, I hope to have another routine for coins, probably with six tricks in it as well. I am also getting my parlour magic props together as well.

I still have a lot of fundamentals to learn or perfect, so I should be busy.
0
John Cowne

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 144
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheNotsoMagnificent
I am building a card routine made of at least six tricks. Three I know, but want to polish and three I am learning. I've also started learning cups and balls, so I hope to have a solid cups and ball routine by spring. After I have the cups and balls down, I am going to start on rope tricks. I have two coin tricks and I am hoping to add a third by spring. By the end of the year, I hope to have another routine for coins, probably with six tricks in it as well. I am also getting my parlour magic props together as well.

I still have a lot of fundamentals to learn or perfect, so I should be busy.
I like the way you’re planning to develop a well-rounded experience of magic genres. I reckon that must have some advantages over committing to one area of magic, at least in the beginning - tasting as many ice-cream flavours as possible. One area I am afraid I’ve never considered was dove routines; it does sound like a level of commitment (as Ray has highlighted) that doesn’t excite me - maybe I’m not being adventurous enough?? Anyway, 2020 is the year of Maths Magic (Harry’s Classics #5: a gift from my amazing wife) and some routines to force my faro (it ain’t natural yet).
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,783
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cowne
I like the way you’re planning to develop a well-rounded experience of magic genres. I reckon that must have some advantages over committing to one area of magic, at least in the beginning - tasting as many ice-cream flavours as possible. One area I am afraid I’ve never considered was dove routines; it does sound like a level of commitment (as Ray has highlighted) that doesn’t excite me - maybe I’m not being adventurous enough?? Anyway, 2020 is the year of Maths Magic (Harry’s Classics #5: a gift from my amazing wife) and some routines to force my faro (it ain’t natural yet).


John, regarding doves, yes, they are a lot of work.  Mainly keeping them clean.  Their cages get dirty, fast.  When I was keeping them I was a teenager with all of the distractions that teenagers suffer from, work, school and girls, not necessarily in that order!

But I managed it.  I actually "inherited" a pair of doves from another magician that was going off to college and that pair spawned another pair.  It was fun to watch the birds and the eggs and when they hatched it was truly something to behold.  So my act went quickly from two to four in a hurry.

Should anyone have interest in working with doves, I highly recommend the Marian Chavez book on dove magic.  Still some of the best technique, IMO.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,783
Reply with quote  #10 
My goal is to find time and opportunities to perform.  There is an open mike venue where my youngest daughter has performed.  They mainly do music, but they also have spoken word and occasionally a stand-up comedian.  They limit you to two songs and/or about 7 minutes in the case of spoken word/comedy.  That would be enough time for 2 or 3 tricks, depending upon the choices.  So I many give it a go.  I don't know if they have ever had a magician, but the venue would be conducive I feel.
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 107
Reply with quote  #11 

I have no goals for 2020.

But I do have plans.

I spend my time making plans, that way I never have to do anything. But it works.

Things happen. I read something somewhere; book, TV, Magicians Forum for example, and that sends me to things and places. Sometimes new places and things, but mostly stuff I have lying around somewhere. Usually lying around in a book.

That’s been the Master Plan since forever.

0
Intensely Magic

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 503
Reply with quote  #12 
I'm going to learn to solve the Rubik's Cube. Trying to keep this old brain as limber as possible. I think a combination of trickery and real RC magic can be quite compelling.


__________________
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. Arthur Conan Doyle

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,783
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intensely Magic
I'm going to learn to solve the Rubik's Cube. Trying to keep this old brain as limber as possible. I think a combination of trickery and real RC magic can be quite compelling.



That is a great goal.  Even Lance Burton used to walk around solving the cube.  I saw him doing it way back in '79 at a convention.  I never did learn to do it.  Maybe I'll jump in with you?
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,783
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

I have no goals for 2020.

But I do have plans.

I spend my time making plans, that way I never have to do anything. But it works.

Things happen. I read something somewhere; book, TV, Magicians Forum for example, and that sends me to things and places. Sometimes new places and things, but mostly stuff I have lying around somewhere. Usually lying around in a book.

That’s been the Master Plan since forever.



Very funny!  You know the old saying, "People don't ever plan to fail, but end up doing so by failing to plan".  Or something like that.

Actually goal-setting is crucial in every aspect of life.  If you don't have a goal, you'll still get somewhere, but you might not like the destination.
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 107
Reply with quote  #15 
I wasn't entirely kidding and anyway, according to some so-called "educators" there's no such thing as failure.

Only Deferred Success.

This means that me and my fellow band members didn't fail our recording test. It's just a matter of deferred success.


The deferment is proving to be a long haul. And it's too late now for one of the lads.
0
Evan S.

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 195
Reply with quote  #16 
Just this past weekend I finished my 2019 goal of reading both the DeLand book and both volumes of Tenyoism. About 2,000 pages of incredible history.


@Chris w...

You may want to check out the book "Jinx Companion," by Fred Turner, Gordon Meyer, and Craig Conley.
https://www.mysteryarts.com/jinx/




0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,783
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I wasn't entirely kidding and anyway, according to some so-called "educators" there's no such thing as failure.

Only Deferred Success.

This means that me and my fellow band members didn't fail our recording test. It's just a matter of deferred success.


The deferment is proving to be a long haul. And it's too late now for one of the lads.


I didn't question your sincerity, but it was still funny!  [biggrin]
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 312
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan S.
@Chris w...

You may want to check out the book "Jinx Companion," by Fred Turner, Gordon Meyer, and Craig Conley.
https://www.mysteryarts.com/jinx/


Thanks, Evan. I like the idea of having a less mediated interaction with The Jinx to start, but I'll probably treat myself to that as a refresher/review guide afterward.
0
Bill Guinee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 162
Reply with quote  #19 
The restaurant gig.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,783
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Guinee
The restaurant gig.


I'm hoping (and I'm sure you will) that you keep us posted once you get started.  Would love to hear how it is going, successes, challenges, etc.
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 107
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


I didn't question your sincerity, but it was still funny!  [biggrin]


I didn’t think for one moment that you did. But I do think the Deferred Success rubbish is equally as funny, and not merely because the promoters of the “concept” are so deadly in their quest to save “young people” from feeling dejected, neglected, rejected and just plain old ejected. Or something.

Their flatulent, po-faced, would-be attempts at worthy sincere seriousness merely just make me want to vomit.

As somebody once said:

“There’s no success like failure and failure’s no success at all”.

Or something.

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,783
Reply with quote  #22 
[thumb]
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.