Sign up Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #51 
Chris, the way I read it, Jimmy Stewart relates that the director, Frank Capra uttered the phrase.  In doing so, what Capra communicates is that in his experience, magicians sometimes do magic for no reason.  That's what I got out of it.  
So to him, having a reason made a difference.  I'm sure many spectators agree.

I don't want to pick on a particular trick, but let's just say there are a lot of "standard" magician's tricks that really have no reason.  They use props that aren't familiar and although the effect looks interesting and may create wonder, in the end the biggest mystery is why you're doing it.
0
SamtheNotasBadasIWas

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 389
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
Chris, the way I read it, Jimmy Stewart relates that the director, Frank Capra uttered the phrase.  In doing so, what Capra communicates is that in his experience, magicians sometimes do magic for no reason.  That's what I got out of it.  
So to him, having a reason made a difference.  I'm sure many spectators agree.

I don't want to pick on a particular trick, but let's just say there are a lot of "standard" magician's tricks that really have no reason.  They use props that aren't familiar and although the effect looks interesting and may create wonder, in the end the biggest mystery is why you're doing it.


My Goal for 2020 is to have a complete 45 minute act ready to go. I don't know when, or even if, I will perform it, but I have noticed that some tricks just seem to stick out and not flow with what I'm trying to put toghether, that is they are tricks done simply for the sake of doing a trick. 

For example, I've gathered together the things to do the "Vase of Allah" trick in Mark Wilson's magic book, I've even come up with patter for it: "This vase looks ordinary, but is not. This vase cost me almost two thousand dollars. The guy I bought it from said that it is thousands of years old and comes from mysterious Asia. I know that is true because it says 'Made in China 2006' right here on the bottom(I use the act of reading the bottom of the vase to load the gimmick so that when I turn the vase back upright the gimmick falls into the vase) and the guy who sold it to me said that was 2006 BC!"

What I can't do if figure out how to make it mesh in with everything else I'm doing. It just kind of sticks out on its own and I haven't figured out why I need to do the trick.

__________________
O' what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive! - Sir Walter Scott
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheNotsoMagnificent


My Goal for 2020 is to have a complete 45 minute act ready to go. I don't know when, or even if, I will perform it, but I have noticed that some tricks just seem to stick out and not flow with what I'm trying to put toghether, that is they are tricks done simply for the sake of doing a trick. 

For example, I've gathered together the things to do the "Vase of Allah" trick in Mark Wilson's magic book, I've even come up with patter for it: "This vase looks ordinary, but is not. This vase cost me almost two thousand dollars. The guy I bought it from said that it is thousands of years old and comes from mysterious Asia. I know that is true because it says 'Made in China 2006' right here on the bottom(I use the act of reading the bottom of the vase to load the gimmick so that when I turn the vase back upright the gimmick falls into the vase) and the guy who sold it to me said that was 2006 BC!"

What I can't do if figure out how to make it mesh in with everything else I'm doing. It just kind of sticks out on its own and I haven't figured out why I need to do the trick.


Here is one way to "motivate" the 'Vase of Allah'.  In stead of a rope, use a cloth.  The cloth is so that you can clean the vase's interior.  So you make a show of cleaning the exterior and then when the cloth dips inside the vase, you engage the gimmick and then absent-mindedly let go of the vase, maybe to grab something else, and it does its thing.

You would just have to make sure that it does do its thing with the cloth.  I think it would, especially if you roll the cloth up like a rope prior to dipping it into the vase.

Just a thought.
0
Mind Phantom

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,492
Reply with quote  #54 
Hummm,
I have some goals but they are kinda small, which is a good thing. I don't own any of John Bannon's books or dealer items and since I have a interest in mentalism and mental magic, I want to get his book..Mentalissimo. It's not that I don't have enough tricks to do now, I just want to learn from a different author.
Oh, I also want the right color & size of rubberbands to do Crazy Man's Handcuff's with. Patter and script for CMH is somewhere on this website, for my presentation of this, dimensions and all that.
I need to get a new black close-up mat. I'll have to settle for a cheap one from China, not like the $60 like the one Steven Youell has i.e Pattricksmagic.com. I can't say bad things about the cheap one, it lasted for a couple of years.
Also, I would like to make a Koran deck out of the Universal Tarot deck . I could sell the rest of the cards as a tarot Koran deck  to other mentalist's or magician's too, so I could recoup my investment for the decks.
And I would like to get a new marked Bicycle Rider deck for my  Fortuneteller's  Book of Days routine.
And lastly I would like to go to Mindvention later this year to meet other folks who have a interest in this sort of thing  and get advice from working pro's on my current set of effects.
Well, there it is! I've kept my goals small and reachable. Except for Mindvention most of my goals are reachable.
Happy Goals for 2020,
MP-

__________________
Self Concept Is Destiny...
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Phantom
Hummm,
I have some goals but they are kinda small, which is a good thing. I don't own any of John Bannon's books or dealer items and since I have a interest in mentalism and mental magic, I want to get his book..Mentalissimo. It's not that I don't have enough tricks to do now, I just want to learn from a different author.
Oh, I also want the right color & size of rubberbands to do Crazy Man's Handcuff's with. Patter and script for CMH is somewhere on this website, for my presentation of this, dimensions and all that.
I need to get a new black close-up mat. I'll have to settle for a cheap one from China, not like the $60 like the one Steven Youell has i.e Pattricksmagic.com. I can't say bad things about the cheap one, it lasted for a couple of years.
Also, I would like to make a Koran deck out of the Universal Tarot deck . I could sell the rest of the cards as a tarot Koran deck  to other mentalist's or magician's too, so I could recoup my investment for the decks.
And I would like to get a new marked Bicycle Rider deck for my  Fortuneteller's  Book of Days routine.
And lastly I would like to go to Mindvention later this year to meet other folks who have a interest in this sort of thing  and get advice from working pro's on my current set of effects.
Well, there it is! I've kept my goals small and reachable. Except for Mindvention most of my goals are reachable.
Happy Goals for 2020,
MP-


Some folks have been successful in making their own pads. Black suede seems to be popular with some performers. Just a thought.
0
SamtheNotasBadasIWas

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 389
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


Some folks have been successful in making their own pads. Black suede seems to be popular with some performers. Just a thought.


I found my pad was too small, so I bought an extra large gaming mouse pad, its 900mm x 400 mm, which is like 35" x 18". It is super soft at 5mm/ .20" thick. If I buy another, I might try the 3mm thick pad. The surface is way too slick, so I am going to buy a piece of velour to cover it. In all, I think it will cost less than $20 when I get the velour.

__________________
O' what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive! - Sir Walter Scott
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #57 

As I posted earlier:

"I have no goals for 2020.

But I do have plans.

I spend my time making plans, that way I never have to do anything. But it works.

Things happen. I read something somewhere; book, TV, Magicians Forum for example, and that sends me to things and places. Sometimes new places and things, but mostly stuff I have lying around somewhere. Usually lying around in a book.

That’s been the Master Plan since forever."

It’s working well.

 

 

0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheNotsoMagnificent


I found my pad was too small, so I bought an extra large gaming mouse pad, its 900mm x 400 mm, which is like 35" x 18". It is super soft at 5mm/ .20" thick. If I buy another, I might try the 3mm thick pad. The surface is way too slick, so I am going to buy a piece of velour to cover it. In all, I think it will cost less than $20 when I get the velour.


Sam, that's a good strategy.  In fact, some people just throw away old worn-out pads when they can be used by just adding more fabric on the top.  I haven't pulled the trigger but I'm thinking of doing exactly that soon.  I need to find the right material for the top, but like I said, I've heard good things about suede and I've never tried it.
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #59 

Well, in for a penny….

If Magic is Art, as many would have it, it doesn’t need a reason. It just is.

And even if it isn't Art, it doesn't need a reason. It is what it is.

Odd, or if you prefer, interesting, looking props? No reason required.

0
Bill Guinee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 268
Reply with quote  #60 
Earlier, I posted that my magic goal for this year was a restaurant gig. Well, after many, many rather brutal and painful attempts to pitch my services (I hate that stuff), I have managed to land a gig. It's a nice one - a couple of sister restaurants ("Tacos and Tequila" in Fulton and Mexico, MO) doing a night a week at each. My price was met and the people I will be working with seem great. My first night will be this Friday.  I am looking forward to it nervously.

I have also gotten through and will be doing room to room volunteer work at the University Hospital in Columbia, MO. When it rains, it pours.

So, now I need to update my goals. Now, I want to get comfortable, improve my performances, and keep the job. 
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 637
Reply with quote  #61 
That's terrific, Bill. Congratulations!

I hope you'll keep us posted on how it's going with the restaurant gig and the volunteer work. Do I recall correctly that you posted somewhere that you've had previous professional experience doing bar magic?
0
Bill Guinee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 268
Reply with quote  #62 
Thanks, Chris. Yes, I used to work at the New York Lounge in Chicago. However, that was about 40 years ago.  So, it all feels new.
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 637
Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Guinee
Thanks, Chris. Yes, I used to work at the New York Lounge in Chicago. However, that was about 40 years ago.  So, it all feels new.


Ah, yes. Not to put too fine a point on it, but 40 years is more than a chris w ago. (Sorry, I had to.)

Based on the performance video of yours I've seen, I think you'll do great.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #64 
Awesome! Fulton is a long way to go for tacos, but I just might have to now!
0
Bill Guinee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 268
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ
Awesome! Fulton is a long way to go for tacos, but I just might have to now!

Thanks, Ray. I don't think, however, that there will be much of significant interest for a magician - just pretty standard stuff. But, if you ever do come this way, let's connect first. I want to be sure to be able to have time to spend with you. I would love to meet you.
0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,645
Reply with quote  #66 
Congratulations Bill, that's wonderful!

Please let us know how it goes on Friday.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Guinee

Thanks, Ray. I don't think, however, that there will be much of significant interest for a magician - just pretty standard stuff. But, if you ever do come this way, let's connect first. I want to be sure to be able to have time to spend with you. I would love to meet you.


It will happen.  Let's set a goal to meet up.  Knock 'em dead on Friday!
0
Bill Guinee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 268
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Dawes
Congratulations Bill, that's wonderful!

Please let us know how it goes on Friday.


Thanks, Robin. It went great. Pretty hard work for a guy my age, but I kept up well. Afterwards the owner let me know that he wants to keep going on Fridays, and they also want me to work their other location starting soon. Couldn't have gone much better.

I am sure this will come as no surprise, but the trick that got the biggest response of all: The Sponge Bunnies. It just doesn't seem to matter how great your other magic is, the sponge bunnies.
0
Anthony Vinson

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,150
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Guinee
I am sure this will come as no surprise, but the trick that got the biggest response of all: The Sponge Bunnies. It just doesn't seem to matter how great your other magic is, the sponge bunnies.


[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Nope. No surprise at all. Were you disappointed? I might be, having practiced, rehearsed, and refined more difficult pieces, only to have the %#$@ing bunnies steal the show. 

Av
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #70 
My "other magic" is only card tricks, so it isn't great.

That's why I always do the Sponges. Not Bunnies, though. What have rabbits got to do with Magic?
0
Comte de Saint Germain

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 42
Reply with quote  #71 
Hmm 2020 goals. Slow purchases and work with what I have. Learn the Truffle shuffle (2.0); Having real problems with that. Work mentalism in along with my card effects. Develop a sponge ball routine. Harry Lorayne's Rim Shots comes in the mail Wednesday! So I guess HaLo Aces and HaLo cut will get a look.

I started getting back into magic last June partially because my Dad has dementia and I thought I could share some time with him and show some card effects. But he has great difficulty remembering his card and has trouble following other tricks.  I thought I wouldn't be interested in sponge balls, but that seems like it might be easier for him to grasp. And I guess it wouldn't hurt to branch out a bit.
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comte de Saint Germain
Hmm 2020 goals. Slow purchases and work with what I have. Learn the Truffle shuffle (2.0); Having real problems with that. Work mentalism in along with my card effects. Develop a sponge ball routine. Harry Lorayne's Rim Shots comes in the mail Wednesday! So I guess HaLo Aces and HaLo cut will get a look.

I started getting back into magic last June partially because my Dad has dementia and I thought I could share some time with him and show some card effects. But he has great difficulty remembering his card and has trouble following other tricks.  I thought I wouldn't be interested in sponge balls, but that seems like it might be easier for him to grasp. And I guess it wouldn't hurt to branch out a bit.


My father suffered from Alzheimer's.  It is a nasty disease.  Dementia isn't any better.
Don't worry that dad can't follow along.  The important thing is that you're there.  Even if it is just sitting with him.

Take advantage of every day you can.  
0
arthur stead

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,047
Reply with quote  #73 

Well, it’s taken me till March, but I’ve finally defined my magic goals for this year.

1.  I’ve been doing Paul Harris’ version of Matrix called Giant Killer Coin for a long time.  It uses only two cards and ends with the unexpected production of a jumbo coin.  It’s marvelous and magical, but it’s over in an instant.  I’ve always toyed with the idea of preceding this with Al Schneider’s original Matrix, which I used to do many years ago.  So I’ve downloaded Mr. Schneider’s L&L video, and found it teaches some great subtleties that I never knew about before.  So my plan is to start with the original 4-card Matrix, and then tell the audience, “You know, somebody once bet me that I wouldn’t be able to do that with only two cards”, and then go into Giant Killer Coin.

2.  I’m also working on Bank Night.  Richard Osterlind’s presentation is tops, in my humble opinion.  Will draw from his ideas and modify to fit my own style.

3.  Another thing I want to incorporate is Ambitious Card.  Never had a fully satisfying routine.  So I’m now combining Dai Vernon ideas from Stars of Magic, Harry Lorayne ideas from Close-Up Card Magic, and Daryl ideas from his Ambitious Card DVD, to create a unique and spellbinding routine.

4.  Speaking of spellbinding, I’m also determined to master Spellbound.  Something I’ve attempted from time to time, but never fully committed to learning and perfecting.  So now’s the time!

 The ultimate goal is to gradually phase these effects into my already existing close-up act, so that I have more options in terms of presentation and duration.



__________________
http://www.arthurstead.com
0
RayJ

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,999
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur stead

Well, it’s taken me till March, but I’ve finally defined my magic goals for this year.

1.  I’ve been doing Paul Harris’ version of Matrix called Giant Killer Coin for a long time.  It uses only two cards and ends with the unexpected production of a jumbo coin.  It’s marvelous and magical, but it’s over in an instant.  I’ve always toyed with the idea of preceding this with Al Schneider’s original Matrix, which I used to do many years ago.  So I’ve downloaded Mr. Schneider’s L&L video, and found it teaches some great subtleties that I never knew about before.  So my plan is to start with the original 4-card Matrix, and then tell the audience, “You know, somebody once bet me that I wouldn’t be able to do that with only two cards”, and then go into Giant Killer Coin.

2.  I’m also working on Bank Night.  Richard Osterlind’s presentation is tops, in my humble opinion.  Will draw from his ideas and modify to fit my own style.

3.  Another thing I want to incorporate is Ambitious Card.  Never had a fully satisfying routine.  So I’m now combining Dai Vernon ideas from Stars of Magic, Harry Lorayne ideas from Close-Up Card Magic, and Daryl ideas from his Ambitious Card DVD, to create a unique and spellbinding routine.

4.  Speaking of spellbinding, I’m also determined to master Spellbound.  Something I’ve attempted from time to time, but never fully committed to learning and perfecting.  So now’s the time!

 The ultimate goal is to gradually phase these effects into my already existing close-up act, so that I have more options in terms of presentation and duration.




Arthur, Spellbound is in my opinion, one of the most flexible of coin routines.  You can keep it basic or go "whole hog" and do a number of climaxes.

You are a very creative sort, so don't get bogged down by anyone's set routine.  Experiment with using regular coins as well as gaffs.  You can mix in productions, vanishes and multiple changes, i.e. ending up with Chinese coins for a finale.  

Good luck with it.
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ


My father suffered from Alzheimer's.  It is a nasty disease.  Dementia isn't any better.
Don't worry that dad can't follow along.  The important thing is that you're there.  Even if it is just sitting with him.

Take advantage of every day you can.  


Well said.

According to those who are supposed to know, with Alzheimer's and the various forms of dementia, the real person is there inside looking out.

Probably chuckling inside thinking, here he is again, with his toys. He still hasn’t got the moves right.

0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 637
Reply with quote  #76 
An update on my project:

I'm closing in on issue 100 of The Jinx, which will be 2/3 of the way through. I'm enjoying this little daily ritual so much.

An item that captured my imagination recently is "Secret of Satan" in issue 94, wherein the means of visually vanishing a coin neatly brings about its visual and auditory reappearance elsewhere. And no, it's not a pull or anything like that.
0
Robin Dawes

Avatar / Picture

Honored Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,645
Reply with quote  #77 
I love the way Anneman and his peers chose over-the-top titles for their creations. 
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 637
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Dawes
I love the way Anneman and his peers chose over-the-top titles for their creations. 


You can't accuse them of lacking a sense of the dramatic...
0
Alan Smithee

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 617
Reply with quote  #79 
Over the top perhaps, but I always thought that they were tongue in cheek and comical.

Always loved the classic "Dead Man's Hand" even before I knew what it was about. From Henry Christ, of course. Rhymes with "kissed" I believe.
0
Christensen

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #80 
I’m hoping to learn a ball and cone routine, submit a Linking Ring Parade that is written but needs photos, and finish a close-up routine I’ve been creating.
__________________
“When we get right down to it what we do for a living is pretending to do things that we cannot really do , in front of an audience of people who knows that we cannot really do them, but is willing to pretend we can.” Morgan & West
0
chris w

Avatar / Picture

Inner Circle
Registered:
Posts: 637
Reply with quote  #81 
I'm on issue 130 of 151. Three weeks more and I'll have completed my first trip through The Jinx!

Even proceeding at a relatively leisurely pace, I'm quite certain I've already forgotten more than I'll ever know.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.